Biltmore Ave., Asheville, NC
No longer standing
See Pack SA1470-1471, Pack Memorial Library, Asheville. Florence Stephenson, a Presbyterian missionary, was the long-serving principal of the Home Industrial School for Girls, which evolved into the Asheville Normal & Collegiate Institute. Located on a prominent plateau south of town, the school operated until the mid-1940s, when the campus was sold. Drs. Charles and Russell Norburn purchased the property and converted Florence Stephenson Hall into a 120-bed hospital and clinic. Victoria Hospital, as it came to be known, was donated in 1950 to Mission Hospital as the site of a new consolidated medical center.