302 W. Market St., Greensboro, NC
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
The West Market Street Methodist Church reportedly cost $52,000. In addition to employing many artisans and laborers, construction benefited local suppliers, with the woodwork coming from the Bain Building Company (see William Carter Bain), the brick from the Kirkpatrick Brick Yard, and the granite from the Mount Airy quarry. Church history states that the fine stained glass came from the German Pavilion at the Chicago World’s Fair of 1893. The auditorium plan sanctuary and the Sunday school rooms may be joined as one great space in the manner called the Akron plan. The church remains a vital presence in downtown Greensboro.