St. Stephen A. M. E. Church
1880-1887; 1893 (spire)
502 N. Fifth St., Wilmington, NC
Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (2005).
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
Tony P. Wrenn, Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait (1984).
The church was originally called St. Stephen’s but has been known in recent years as St. Stephen. The cornerstone is inscribed, “St. Stephen’s A. M. E./ Church Built 1866/Rebuilt 1880.” A large annex to the church was built in 1913.