206 N. Russell St., Troy, NC
Herbert B. Hunter designed the English Revival house in 1928 for Mrs. N.W. Smitherman, a widow with two children who owned Troy’s Smitherman Cotton Mill. The family sold the home in 1989 to a local dentist, who in turn sold it to the current owners in 1996. The brand name for the brick used for the building’s exterior was called “Damn Ugly” by the brick’s manufacturer.