South side SR 1621, just west of SR 1625, Inez vicinity, NC
No longer standing
William Z. Y. Jones and John Buxton Williams, a leader in the congregation, signed the “Plan of the addition to Shady Grove Church and Specifications,” dated June 1, 1858 and describing the addition and some renovations to the existing “main building” (John Buxton Williams Papers, Duke University Manuscript Collection). The addition was to be built at the north end of the existing church and measure 14 by 28 feet to “correspond with the main building.” It was to have a “pediment front.” Presumably this addition produced the simple Greek Revival pediment-front church that stood, much altered, into the late 20th century. It was converted for use as a store and residence and subsequently lost to fire. According to the 2014 historic homes tour brochure of Warren County, the present (third) Shady Grove United Methodist Church, located on NC 58 near Inez since the 1920s, retains the pulpit and pews from the older church.