Central Ave. near Seaboard Airline Railroad tracks, Charlotte, NC
Historian William Huffman credits the Cole Manufacturing Plant of 1905 to J. A. Jones. The company, incorporated in 1900 by a family from Moore County and others, manufactured agricultural implements. They came to Charlotte about 1900 and soon built a small factory; in 1910, the company opened a larger plant designed by Charlotte architect Charles C. Hook, portions of which still stand. The earlier portion credited to Jones has presumably been lost. Whether Jones also built the structures designed by Hook remains to be determined. See: William H. Huffman and Thomas Hanchett, “Cole Manufacturing Complex” (1985) at http://www.cmhpf.org/essaycolemfg.htm. The company continued in business for many years. See http://www.coleplanter.com/history.htm.