Hoskins Rd., Charlotte, NC
No longer standing
The large 3-story mill featured an imposing tower. The principal products were yarns and sheeting. See “Whaley and His Works,” The State (Columbia, S. C.), Dec. 12, 1900. See Modern Cotton Mill Engineering (1903) for a plan of the complex and an elevation drawing of the mill at http://localhistory.richlandlibrary.com/cdm/ref/collection/p16817coll11/id/649. It was stated that the mills had 12,288 spindles, 300 looms, and measured 222 by 78 feet. Large, arched windows filled the three stories, and the front tower had a strongly Italianate character. The mill was evidently named in honor of industrialist and civic leader H. S. Chadwick, the recently deceased friend of mill president E. A. Smith. The Chadwick and Hoskins mills were later combined into a single operation. The Chadwick mill was razed later in the 20th century.