Robert Franklin Lynn, stonemason
Mount Pleasant, Cabarrus County
NW corner Wade St. and C St., Mount Pleasant, NC
Images Puslished In:
Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).
The well-preserved church was built for an African American congregation established in 1900 through missionary work of the largely northern Congregational denomination. After the 1906 church building burned on January 12, 1918, the congregation worshipped in a local school until their new church was ready for use. Stonemason Lynn and was assisted in the project by Calvin Bost. (Bost was listed in the 1910 census as a mason aged 55.) The church was dedicated on October 30, 1921. Church minute books survive. See Shelia A. Bumgarner and David Brown, "First Congregational Church National Register of Historic Places nomination," 1985.