Packard Motor Car Company
436 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh, NC
No longer standing
In 1921 it was announced that R. M. Chipley, an experienced “automobile man,” was to become the authorized sales and service dealer for Packard automobiles in Raleigh, serving several counties (News and Observer, Feb. 13, 1921 and Dec. 4, 1921). The Chipley Motor Company also sold other brands of automobiles including Fords. Advertisements show the company at 113-15 W. Davie Street in 1922. By 1936, the business was at 436 S. Salisbury St.—the Kahn building, believed to have been built in 1928. Few Raleigh newspapers—not including the News and Observer—are accessible via newspapers.com after 1922. Further research on this building, which no longer stands, would be worthwhile. Photographs of it are also sought.