Depot St., Winston-Salem, NC
No longer standing
The 2-story frame school stood in an area that was a hub of the city’s black community life. It was opened for classes in 1887 and was the first public school for African American students in Winston-Salem. It has been described as the largest and most important public school for African Americans in North Carolina in its day.