6830 Raeford Rd., Fayetteville, NC
The brick school features the simplified Collegiate Gothic style of educational architecture widely used in the 1910s and 1920s. Remarkably intact inside and out, it has wings added in 1938 and 1949. During the consolidation era of the early 20th century, six one-room county schools in western Cumberland County were consolidated as Seventy-First School. It was cited in the January 5, 1924 Fayetteville Observer and predicted to be “a work of architectural and construction art.” The school was named for the township it served, which in turn was named for the 71st Highland Regiment, a Scottish regiment at the Battle of Culloden in 1746, at which Prince Charles and his Scots troops were defeated. Local history reports that members of the regiment were among the Highland Scots who settled in western Cumberland County in the 18th century. Highland Scots history remains an important part of the county’s heritage.