1859; 1936-1938 [rebuilt]
NE corner of US 25 and SR 1547, Fletcher, NC
Sadie Smathers Patton, The Story of Henderson County (1976).
The Gothic Revival brick church was completed in 1859 by local builder Ephraim Clayton from designs by Charleston architect Jones. After it burned on Dec. 22, 1935, it was rebuilt from designs by S. Grant Alexander. See “Fire Destroys Old Calvary Church,” Asheville Times, Dec. 23, 1935, and “Architect’s Drawing of New Calvary Church,” Asheville Citizen-Times, May 31, 1936. The latter noted that plans were drawn by S. Grant Alexander and his son, Ludovic for a new church on the same site but “was to accommodate a choir in its proper position in the chancel—which was not available in the old church—and will seat more persons.” (See also “Restored Calvary Church and New Rector,” Asheville Citizen Times, March 7, 1937.) The first service was held in the new church in July 1938 and it was consecrated on Aug. 21. (“Calvary Is Consecrated in Impressive Ceremony,” Asheville Citizen Aug. 22, 1938.)