East end of public square (just east of Vance Monument), Asheville, NC
No longer standing
Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).
Douglas Swaim, ed., Cabins and Castles: The History and Architecture of Buncombe County, North Carolina (1981).
So quickly did Asheville grow that the 1876-1877 Buncombe County Courthouse was the sixth one built. It was razed in 1903 to accommodate expansion of the newly named Pack Square eastward, and its short-lived successor was located to the north on College St. That 1903 building was razed after completion of the 1927-1928 courthouse by Milburn, Heister, and Company, farther east on the greatly enlarged square. See Daniel J. Vivian, “Public Architecture, Civic Aspirations and the Price of ‘Progress’: A History of the Buncombe County Courthouse,” in Robert S. Brunk, ed., May We All Remember Well: A Journal of the History and Cultures of Western North Carolina, Vol. 2 (2001).