E. K. Bishop House
Ca. 1767-1778; 1904 [remodeled]
501 E. Front St., New Bern, NC
Peter B. Sandbeck, The Historic Architecture of New Bern and Craven County, North Carolina (1988).
Peter Sandbeck notes that Coor bought the property in 1767 for 140 pounds and sold it in 1778 to one Thomas Emery for 3000 pounds, who sold the property in 1798. The 18th century house was overbuilt as an imposing Southern Colonial residence for merchant Edward K. Bishop from designs by New Bern architect Herbert Simpson, but many elements of the original late-Georgian style house survive including the fine stair.