Elizabeth Bridgers House

Contributors:
Charles McMillen, architect; Joseph Schad, contractor
Variant Name(s):
Graystone
Dates:
1905
Location:
Wilmington, New Hanover County
Street Address:
SW corner of 3rd St. and Dock St., Wilmington, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Residential
Images Puslished In:
Tony P. Wrenn, Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait (1984).
Note:
Built for Elizabeth Eagles Haywood Bridgers, widow of Preston Bridgers of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad family, the massive stone house with towering portico is one of the city's most opulent residences of its day. One of the few stone houses in town, it was built of Indiana limestone. Stonecutter foreman was J. H. Niggel of South Carolina, who remained in Wilmington and founded the Carolina Cut Stone Company. The stone, which has been identified as Indiana limestone, was dressed on site.