Charles D. McIver School

Contributors:
Starrett and Van Vleck, consulting architects; Joe W. Stout, contractor; Joe W. Stout & Co., contractors; Albert Carl Wirth, associate architect
Variant Name(s):
West Lee Street School
Dates:
1923
Location:
Greensboro, Guilford County
Street Address:
617 W. Lee St., Greensboro, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Educational
Images Puslished In:
Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
Note:
The classically detailed brick school is especially striking because of the arcade of five 2-story arched windows that define the main fa├žade. It is one of four public schools in Greensboro associated with nationally known New York architects Starrett and van Vleck, who are best known as designers of department stores but also planned numerous schools in several states. In 1921 the Greensboro school officials commissioned the firm to serve as consulting architect for several local schools to be "of the most modern type," and "with the great bulk of the architectural work done by local architects" (Greensboro Daily News, October 18, 1921). Dr. George D. Strayer of the teacher's college Columbia University was to advise as well. See also Greensboro Daily News, October 22, 1922.