1801 Hillsborough St.
Pullen Memorial Baptist Church is a fully developed example of Romanesque Revival church architecture, rare in the state and notable for its strong massing and intricate brickwork. The congregation had met in a mission church at the south end of Fayetteville Street in central Raleigh for several years, but after that church burned, the congregation moved to this location near present North Carolina State University in west Raleigh. Aimed at the students at the college as well as other citizens, the $65,000 structure was built with more than 40 Sunday school rooms. Source: Davidson and Jones Archives; News & Observer, Jan. 1, 1922. This issue of the News and Observer carried a lengthy story about the proposed church and its architects (though not the builder) and featured a large drawing of it.