Thrower, James R. (b. ca. 1825)
James R. Thrower (b. ca. 1825), was a carpenter active in Warren and nearby counties in the middle and late 19th century. Born in Halifax County, North Carolina, the 25-year old carpenter was listed in 1850 among several journeymen carpenters in the Warrenton household of builder Jacob W. Holt. He is one of the few of Holt’s carpenters whose subsequent careers are known. In 1860 Thrower, a carpenter, had his own household in Warren County with his wife Ann, their 2-year-old child born in Virginia, and an apprentice carpenter (perhaps his brother), W. Thrower, 21, of Halifax County.
James Thrower settled in Henderson, a town made by the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad. He evidently continued as a builder, though in 1870 and 1880 the census taker listed him as a railroad manager and railroad master, respectively. He held the important position as the “road master” of the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad through at least 1890 (The Official Railroad List ).Thrower’s most prominent architectural project was the design of the Vance County Courthouse (1884), a brick structure with a modest mansard tower; it was remodeled in 1908. His own residence, the James R. Thrower House (ca. 1886), is one of the only houses in town with a mansard roof.
- Charlotte Vestal Brown Papers, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Ann Melanie Murphy, An Inventory of Historic Architecture, Henderson, North Carolina (1979).
- Contributors:James R. Thrower, carpenter/joinerDates:
Ca. 1886Location:Henderson, Vance CountyStreet Address:
144 Clark St., Henderson, NCStatus:
ResidentialImages Published In:
Ann Melanie Murphy, An Inventory of Historic Architecture, Henderson, North Carolina (1979).
1884; 1908 [remodeled]Location:Henderson, Vance CountyStreet Address:
Young St., Henderson, NCStatus:
PublicImages Published In:
Ann Melanie Murphy, An Inventory of Historic Architecture, Henderson, North Carolina (1979).Note:
This project was a thorough remodeling of the 1884 courthouse, including a completely new façade.