Hunter and Gordon (1908-ca. 1917)

Founded:

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

Residences:

  • Charlotte, North Carolina

Trades:

  • Architect

Hunter and Gordon was a prolific architectural partnership in Charlotte formed in 1908 by architects Leonard L. Hunter, an established practitioner in Charlotte, and Franklin Gordon, who had come to Charlotte from Atlanta. See Hunter’s and Gordon’s entries for fuller accounts and building lists.

Sort Building List by:
  • Carnegie Library

    Contributors:
    Franklin Gordon, architect; Hunter and Gordon, architects; Leonard L. Hunter, architect; Richard N. Hunter, contractor
    Dates:
    1912
    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:
    100 Beatties Ford Rd., Johnson C. Smith University Campus, Charlotte, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Note:
    The library on the historically black college campus features a neoclassical design in brick with terra cotta columns and other details. Contractor Richard N. Hunter was active in Charlotte and vicinity; there is no known familial relationship between L. L. and R. N. Hunter. For fuller information see http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs%20Alphabetical%20Order/surveys&rcarnegie.htm.

  • Chalmers A. R. P. Church

    Contributors:
    Franklin Gordon, architect; Hunter and Gordon, architects; Leonard L. Hunter, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Grace Covenant Church
    Dates:
    1910
    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:
    Corner of South Blvd. and East Blvd., Charlotte, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Note:
    The Charlotte Evening Chronicle of June 11, 1910, reported on the new "classical, colonial" church located in the suburb of Dilworth. The red brick church features a portico of Corinthian columns and an especially fine interior. Famed minister Billy Graham attended this church in his youth. The church is now home to Grace Covenant Church.

  • E. C. Marshall House

    Contributors:
    Franklin Gordon, architect; Hunter and Gordon, architects; Leonard L. Hunter, architect
    Dates:
    1915
    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:
    500 Hermitage Rd., Charlotte, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    A landmark of the Myers Park suburb, the grand Tudor Revival residence was built for Southern Power Company (later Duke Power) president E. C. Marshall.

  • George Stephens House

    Contributors:
    Franklin Gordon, attributed architect; Hunter and Gordon, architects; Leonard L. Hunter, attributed architect
    Dates:
    1915-1916
    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:
    821 Harvard Pl., Charlotte, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    The picturesque frame residence is one of several houses in Myers Park cited to Hunter and Gordon.

  • Mercy Hospital

    Contributors:
    Franklin Gordon, architect; Hunter and Gordon, architects; Leonard L. Hunter, architect
    Dates:
    1915
    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:
    E. 5th St., Charlotte, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Health Care
    Note:
    The hospital opened on the site between 5th St. and Vail in 1916. A nursing school was added in 1922 (see Michael McInerney).

    image/svg+xml Durham Greenville Raleigh ChapelHill Fayetteville Wilmington Winston-Salem Charlotte Asheville Goldsboro Greens-boro Edenton New Bern Salisbury Warren-ton ElizabethCity