Gerrard Hall

Contributors:
Atwood and Nash, architects and engineers (1938); Thomas C. Atwood, engineer (1938); Arthur C. Nash, consulting architect (1938); William Nichols, architect (1822-1837); Thomas A. Waitt, builder (1837); H. Raymond Weeks, architect (1938)
Variant Name(s):
New Chapel
Dates:
1822-1837; 1858 [improvements]; 1938 [internally reconstructed]
Location:
Chapel Hill, Orange County
Street Address:
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Status:
Standing
Type:
Educational
Images Puslished In:
John V. Allcott, The Campus at Chapel Hill: Two Hundred Years of Architecture (1986).
M. Ruth Little, The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1795-1975 (2006).
C. Ford Peatross, William Nichols, Architect (1979).
William S. Powell, The First State University: A Pictorial History of the University of North Carolina (1992).
Note:
As built from Nichols's design, Gerrard Hall included an imposing Ionic portico on one side; the portico was removed ca. 1900, and recreated in 2007-2008. The hall was rebuilt internally in the 1930s.