Wachovia Bank and Trust Company Building

Contributors:
William Carter Bain, contractor; Central Carolina Construction Company, contractors; Frank Pierce Milburn, architect (1911, 1917-1918); Milburn, Heister, and Company, architects (1911, 1917-1918)
Variant Name(s):

Wachovia National Bank Building

Dates:

1911; 1917-1918 [addition and renovation]

Location:
Winston-Salem, Forsyth County
Street Address:

8 West 3rd St., Winston-Salem, NC

Status:

Standing

Type:

Commercial

Images Published In:

Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
Edwin E. Bouldin, Jr., Architectural Guide to Winston-Salem and Forsyth County (1978).
Molly Grogan Rawls, Winston-Salem in Vintage Postcards (2004).

Note:

Wachovia, a banking company that originated in Winston-Salem, began the cit’s early 20th century “race to the sky” with Milburn and Heister’s 7-story steel-framed skyscraper. After the O’Hanlon Building (see Northup and O’Brien) was built to 8 stories in 1914, Wachovia had Milburn and Heister add another story to their edifice. Both were soon eclipsed by taller buildings.