Misenheimer-James House

C. C. Hook, architect (1915); Hook and Rogers, architects (1915); Robert Franklin Lynn, stonemason (1915); Willard G. Rogers, architect (1915)

Late 19th century; 1915 [remodeled]

Mount Pleasant, Cabarrus County
Street Address:

311 S. Main St., Mount Pleasant, NC





Images Published In:

Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).


The eclectic house and its outbuildings constitute the principal ensemble of fine stonework by Robert Franklin Lynn, in this case in an architect-designed house built for a leading white citizen. The complex began with a simpler house built for J. J. Misenhimer, but it was greatly altered as the residence of industrialist Augustus N. James who moved to Mount Pleasant from Charlotte. He employed the Charlotte architectural firm of Hook and Rogers to redesign the house in a combination of Craftsman and Colonial Revival modes. Its special character derives from the abundant use of Lynn’s stonework for the foundation, porches, outbuildings, and a retaining wall as well as a fireplace.