Hook and Rogers (1905-1916)

The firm of Hook and Rogers was established in 1905 by C. C. Hook and Willard G. Rogers. Rogers had moved to Charlotte from Cincinnati, Ohio, around 1900 as an architect for the engineering firm of Stuart W. Cramer. The partnership of Hook and Rogers closely followed that of Hook and Sawyer and covered a wide range of building types and styles including many college projects. For selected works, see the C. C. Hook entry.

Sort Building List by:
  • Abel Caleb Lineberger Sr. House I

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1910

    Location:
    Belmont, Gaston County
    Street Address:

    203 N. Main St., Belmont, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential

    Images Puslished In:

    Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).


  • Banks Presbyterian Church

    Contributors:
    J. D. Foard, contractor; C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1911

    Location:
    Union County
    Street Address:

    SR 1315, Marvin, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Religious

    Images Puslished In:

    Suzanne S. Pickens, ed., Sweet Union: An Architectural and Historical Survey of Union County, North Carolina (1990).


  • Chapel Hill Graded School

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1915

    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:

    Franklin St., Chapel Hill, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Note:

    The school was located on Franklin Street, southwest of the intersection with Columbia Street, where University Square is currently. It became Chapel Hill High School in 1936, and was demolished in the 1970s.


  • Cole Manufacturing Plant

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1909-1911

    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:

    Charlotte, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Industrial


  • D. L. Bost House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1905

    Location:
    Concord, Cabarrus County
    Street Address:

    154 S. Union St., Concord, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential

    Images Puslished In:

    Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).


  • East Duke Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1910

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    Duke University, Durham, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

    Note:

    The East Duke Building is the right, tan-colored building pictured in the bottom right corner of the image.


  • Eliza Pittman Memorial Auditorium

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1906

    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:

    St. Mary’s School, Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Linda L. Harris and Mary Ann Lee, An Architectural and Historical Inventory of Raleigh, North Carolina (1978).


  • Four Acres

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Variant Name(s):

    Benjamin N. Duke House

    Dates:

    1908

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    Chapel Hill St. at Duke St., Durham, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Residential

    Images Puslished In:

    Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).

    Note:

    The immense residence called Four Acres was built for tobacco industrialist Benjamin N. Duke on the site of his previous residence. The North Carolina Mutual Insurance building now occupies the elevated, prominent site.


  • Greystone

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Variant Name(s):

    James F. Stagg House

    Dates:

    1911

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    618 Morehead Ave., Durham, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential

    Images Puslished In:

    Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).
    Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

    Note:

    Built for an associate of the Duke family, Greystone is one of the few examples surviving of Durham’s pre-1920 mansions.


  • Jarvis Hall

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect; Herbert W. Simpson, architect; C. V. York, contractor
    Dates:

    1909

    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:

    East Carolina University, Greenville, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Michael Cotter, ed., The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina (1988).

    Note:

    Jarvis Hall is one of the most intact of several buildings designed at present East Carolina University by Hook and Rogers and Herbert W. Simpson, typically in red brick with red tile roofs. The college was established in 1907, and these architects designed the earliest part of the campus.


  • John Blue House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, attributed architect; Hook and Rogers, attributed architects; Willard G. Rogers, attributed architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1888; 1903

    Location:
    Aberdeen, Moore County
    Street Address:

    200 Blue St., Aberdeen, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Residential


  • John Love Buildings

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, attributed architect; Hook and Rogers, attributed architects; Hook and Sawyer, attributed architects; Willard G. Rogers, attributed architect; Frank M. Sawyer, attributed architect
    Dates:

    1904; ca. 1906-1908

    Location:
    Gastonia, Gaston County
    Street Address:

    213-223 W. Main Ave., Gastonia, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).

    Note:

    In 1899 and 1906 the Manufacturers’ Record carried news of Hook’s firms designing office buildings for John Love, which may be these.


  • Knights of Pythias Orphanage

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; C. V. York, contractor
    Dates:

    1910

    Location:
    Clayton, Johnston County
    Street Address:

    Clayton, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Institutional

    Note:

    The Raleigh Times of February 5, 1910, reported on the groundbreaking for the orphanage sponsored by the Knights of Pythias and located near Clayton. Nineteen firms bid on the construction of the initial phase of the main building (News and Observer, November 20, 1909). The Wilmington Morning Star of December 12, 1909, carried a long story about the proposed building including a drawing of the multipart complex with central domed building. The first building to be erected, the article stated, was a corner building. It may have been the only portion actually constructed and is depicted in a postcard. (Some sources credit the design to Henry E. Bonitz of Wilmington, but newspapers of the day, including one from Wilmington, document Hook and Rogers as the architects.)


  • Lenoir Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1908

    Location:
    Lenoir, Caldwell County
    Street Address:

    808 West Ave., Lenoir, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).


  • Masonic Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect; Herbert W. Simpson, architect
    Dates:

    1902

    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:

    Greenville, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Fraternal

    Images Puslished In:

    Michael Cotter, ed., The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina (1988).


  • Masonic Temple

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; J. A. Jones, builder; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1914

    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:

    329 S. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Fraternal

    Images Puslished In:

    Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).

    Note:

    The imposing Egyptian Revival style Masonic temple was among the state’s premier examples of its style and type. It was razed in 1987, and its massive lotus columns were reused in Rock Hill, South Carolina.


  • Misenheimer-James House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect (1915); Hook and Rogers, architects (1915); Robert Franklin Lynn, stonemason (1915); Willard G. Rogers, architect (1915)
    Dates:

    Late 19th century; 1915 [remodeled]

    Location:
    Mount Pleasant, Cabarrus County
    Street Address:

    311 S. Main St., Mount Pleasant, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential

    Images Puslished In:

    Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).

    Note:

    The eclectic house and its outbuildings constitute the principal ensemble of fine stonework by Robert Franklin Lynn, in this case in an architect-designed house built for a leading white citizen. The complex began with a simpler house built for J. J. Misenhimer, but it was greatly altered as the residence of industrialist Augustus N. James who moved to Mount Pleasant from Charlotte. He employed the Charlotte architectural firm of Hook and Rogers to redesign the house in a combination of Craftsman and Colonial Revival modes. Its special character derives from the abundant use of Lynn’s stonework for the foundation, porches, outbuildings, and a retaining wall as well as a fireplace.


  • Piedmont and Northern Railway Depot

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1915

    Location:
    Belmont, Gaston County
    Street Address:

    4 N. Main St., Belmont, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Transportation

    Images Puslished In:

    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
    Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).


  • Proctor Hotel

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Variant Name(s):

    Minges Building

    Dates:

    1912

    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:

    300 block S. Evans St., Greenville, NC

    Status:

    Altered

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Michael Cotter, ed., The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina (1988).


  • Spencer Hall

    Contributors:
    William Carter Bain, contractor; C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Variant Name(s):

    New Dormitory

    Dates:

    1904;1907

    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:

    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

    Note:

    Spencer Hall is the principal surviving building by Hook and Sawyer at present University of North Carolina Greensboro (the State Normal and Industrial College), where Hook also planned other buildings including an auditorium, a library, and other dormitories. When completed it was described as largest women’s dormitory in the country under one roof. The Julius Isaac Foust Papers at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro University Archives and Manuscripts includes correspondence with the firm of Hook and Rogers (1910s) and Thomas Sears (1920s) about campus buildings and landscaping.


  • VanLandingham House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1913

    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:

    2010 The Plaza, Charlotte, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential


  • West Duke Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1910

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    Duke University, Durham, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

    Note:

    The West Duke Building is the left, tan-colored building pictured in the bottom right corner of the image.


  • YWCA Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect
    Dates:

    1912-1914

    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:

    418 E. Trade St., Charlotte, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Recreational

    Images Puslished In:

    Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).


    image/svg+xml Durham Greenville Raleigh ChapelHill Fayetteville Wilmington Winston-Salem Charlotte Asheville Goldsboro Greens-boro Edenton New Bern Salisbury Warren-ton ElizabethCity