1892; 1938 (renovation as museum, joining of two buildings)
220 N. Church St., Greensboro, NC
The Brooklyn firm of L. B. Valk and Son designed the third sanctuary of Greensboro’s First Presbyterian Church in the robust Romanesque Revival style popular at the time. When Charlotte architect C. C. Hook planned the adjoining Smith Memorial Building of 1903, he continued in a similar style. The congregation later erected its present building in the Fisher Park suburb (see Harry Barton and Hobart Upjohn), and this facility was converted to civic use.