Holleyman, William C. (1893-1939)
William C. Holeyman; William C. Holleyman, Jr.; W. C. Holleyman
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Greensboro, North Carolina
Styles & Forms:
Colonial Revival; Georgian Revival
William Crumley (W. C.) Holleyman, Jr. (September 12, 1893-January 13, 1939), a native of Atlanta, Georgia, was an architect active in Greensboro in the early 20th century and was best known for his residential work, including fine houses built during the 1930s.
A son of W. C. Holleyman, Sr., a merchant, and Esther Holleyman, W. C. graduated in architecture from Georgia Tech in 1917. He registered for military service in August 1917 and in 1918 was promoted to the rank of captain (Atlanta Constitution, April 3, 1918). Honorably discharged in September 1919, he went to New York, where the Atlanta Constitution of December 28, 1919, reported that his parents were spending the holidays with him.
According to his obituary, Holleyman practiced architecture in New York for two years before going to Greensboro in 1921. He evidently formed an acquaintance in the metropolis with New York architect Charles C. Hartmann, an associate of hotel architect William Lee Stoddart.
In the late 1910s, Hartmann had begun to visit North Carolina to supervise two Stoddart hotel commissions for which he was chief designer—the Sheraton in High Point and the O. Henry in Greensboro. Hartmann impressed Greensboro leaders, and in 1921 Julian Price, vice-president of Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company, invited Hartmann to come to Greensboro, promising him the commission for the company’s $2.5 million headquarters building, provided that Hartmann open a permanent practice in the city. Hartmann’s successful and prolific office in Greensboro operated from 1921 until his retirement in 1966.
The Greensboro Daily News of September 14, 1921 noted Hartmann’s commission to design the 10-story Commercial National Bank in High Point and reported that “W. C. Holleyman, Jr., Mr. Hartmann’s associate in Greensboro” stated that Hartmann and the bank officers had gone to New York to inspect banking rooms there. The article also identified Hartmann as architect of the 17-story Jefferson Standard Building, upon which construction would not begin in 1922.
In 1921 Holleyman was listed in the city directory as working with Hartmann. In 1923, Holleyman married Frederica Genevieve Bremer of Philadelphia in that city (Atlanta Constitution, January 28, 1923). Holleyman continued his association with Hartmann, as indicated by Greensboro city directories of 1923-1928. Although it is likely that Holleyman worked with Hartmann on the Jefferson Standard Building, it is not yet known how the two architects divided up their work or what role Holleyman had in projects credited to Hartmann.
In the late 1920s Holleyman established his own practice: directories of 1929, 1930, and 1934 show his architectural office in a building at 100 N. Elm Street, next door to Hartmann who was at 101 N. Elm Street. Notably, these two buildings held the offices of seven of Greensboro’s nine architects listed in the 1930 directory; two others were elsewhere on Elm Street. By 1938 Holleyman had moved his office to 114 N. Elm, while Hartmann stayed at 100.
During the Great Depression, Holleyman continued to gain commissions in Greensboro and other North Carolina communities, making connections with still-prosperous clients in a time when many architects experienced difficulty in finding work. These included handsome residences in various revivalist styles in Fayetteville, Asheboro, and especially the resort village of Pinehurst in Moore County, where he designed several notable buildings.
Notable among Holleyman’s known works in Greensboro is the eclectic Norman Revival style Herman Cone House (1935-1936) for the oldest son of textile magnate Ceasar Cone. It is one of numerous grand residences in the prestigious Irving Park suburb, where Holleyman may have designed other residences. Holleyman also designed the Science Building at present UNC-Greensboro, employing a red brick Colonial Revival campus style already established there by Greensboro architect Harry Barton. The Greensboro Daily News of October 12, 1938 illustrated its account of the Science Building with Holleyman’s perspective drawing, which survives at the UNCG Libraries (see (http://library.uncg.edu/dp/ttt/index.aspx?verb=20&start=226). By the time the building opened in 1940, its architect had died: the Burlington, N. C. Daily Times of January 14, 1939, reported that Holleyman had died on January 13 of a heart attack at age 45, which cut short a career in mid-course.
- Benjamin Briggs, The Architecture of High Point, North Carolina: A History and Guide to the City’s Houses, Churches and Public Buildings (2008).
- Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
1921-1924Location:High Point, Guilford CountyStreet Address:
164 S. Main St., High Point, NCStatus:
CommercialImages Published In:
Benjamin Briggs, The Architecture of High Point, North Carolina: A History and Guide to the City’s Houses, Churches and Public Buildings (2008).
H. McKelden Smith, Architectural Resources: An Inventory of Historic Architecture, High Point, Jamestown, Gibsonville, Guilford County (1979).Note:
Architect Holleyman was associated with Hartmann during the latter’s commission for this project, High Point’s premier early 20th century skyscraper.
1936Location:Fayetteville, Cumberland CountyStreet Address:
1428 Raeford Rd., Fayetteville, NCStatus:
The large brick house exhibits Holleyman’s favored Colonial Revival style with bold classical details.
1892; 1938 (renovation as museum, joining of two buildings)Location:Greensboro, Guilford CountyStreet Address:
220 N. Church St., Greensboro, NCStatus:
The Brooklyn firm of L. B. Valk and Son designed the third sanctuary of Greensboro’s First Presbyterian Church in the robust Romanesque Revival style popular at the time. When Charlotte architect C. C. Hook planned the adjoining Smith Memorial Building of 1903, he continued in a similar style. The congregation later erected its present building in the Fisher Park suburb (see Harry Barton and Hobart Upjohn), and this facility was converted to civic use.
Ca. 1933Location:Asheboro, Randolph CountyStreet Address:
232 Worth St., Asheboro, NCStatus:
The Tudor Revival residence was built for a son of Asheboro and North Carolina textile leader D. B. McCrary, who founded the Acme-McCrary Company. According to a historic designation report of 2010, Holleyman’s plans for the house survive at the Acme-McCrary Corporation. See https://www.noexperiencenecessarybook.com/93vqB/designation-report-j-frank-mccrary-house-doc.html.
1934Location:Pinehurst, Moore CountyStreet Address:
175 Linden Rd., Pinehurst, NCStatus:
Clients in the planned resort village of Pinehurst, who hailed from many distant communities, commissioned houses from a variety of architects from North Carolina and from northern cities. The Colonial Revival house Holleyman designed for Lansing B. Warner of Chicago was reportedly the first “substantial winter home” built there during the Depression.
1934Location:Pinehurst, Moore CountyStreet Address:
35 Chinquapin Rd., Pinehurst, NCStatus:
Holleyman remodeled an existing frame building by covering it in brick and adding Colonial Revival details to harmonize with other village architecture.
Ca. 1930Location:Pinehurst, Moore CountyStreet Address:
40-48 Chinquapin Rd., Pinehurst, NCStatus:
Holleyman employed his favored Colonial Revival style in creative fashion to produce a block of one and two-story stores that combines unity and variety.