Barton, Harry (1876-1937)

Harry Barton (June 17, 1876-May 9, 1937), a native of Philadelphia, moved to Greensboro in 1912 and became a leader in that city’s and the state’s architectural profession during the early 20th century, planning numerous important buildings and taking an active role in the American Institute of Architects in North Carolina.

Harry Barton was born to Emma Goodwin and Edmund Barton, a building contractor in Philadelphia. Harry attended Temple College and completed a degree in architecture at George Washington University, then did further study at the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design. He practiced in Philadelphia and in Washington, D.C., where for a decade he worked for the Office of the Supervising Architect, United States Department of Treasury, designing federal buildings primarily in the Midwest.

In 1912, Barton moved with his wife, Rachel Phillips Barton, to Greensboro, North Carolina, because “he regarded it as a city with a future and convenient to one of the most prosperous regions in the entire Piedmont section.” There he joined the firm of Frank A. Weston, an architect who had arrived from Denver a few years earlier and designed several downtown commercial buildings and “some of the handsomest homes of Greensboro.”

Barton’s estimate of prospects in Greensboro proved prophetic. Civic-minded and a devoted Presbyterian (becoming an elder at First Presbyterian Church only five years after his arrival in Greensboro), he soon established his own practice with a client base among the city’s industrial and financial leaders. After only a few years in town, he secured the commission for the large, neoclassical Guilford County Courthouse (1918-1920). His long-lasting and prolific practice concentrated in Greensboro but also covered other North Carolina communities. During the flush 1920s, Barton was Greensboro’s leading architect, along with his sometimes competitor Charles C. Hartmann, who arrived in mid-decade.

Like many architects of his generation, Barton worked confidently and skillfully in a variety of styles and building types. During the 1910s, 1920s, and 1930s, he designed classically inspired courthouses and municipal buildings, churches in Gothic and classical modes, eclectic collegiate and high school buildings, Art Deco commercial buildings, and substantial residences that covered the spectrum from the picturesque and romantic to formal Georgian Revival modes. For a leading furniture manufacturer of High Point, he planned the beautifully detailed and luxurious Tudor Revival style S.H. Tomlinson House (Barton’s drawings for the Tomlinson House are in the North Carolina State University Libraries Special Collections Research Center). For the Cone textile manufacturer family of Greensboro he created the Cone Export and Commission Building in an Anglophilic Tudor Revival mode, while for a related Greensboro industrialist he planned the Sigmund Sternberger House in exotic Venetian style. He designed the W.W. Graves House for a Wilson tobacconist in immaculate and conservative Georgian Revival style red brick. For his own residence, Barton adopted a light Spanish Colonial theme.

An important series of commissions for Barton came with the expansion of the present University of North Carolina at Greensboro. In 1921 the state embarked on a vast educational building campaign. College president Julius Foust commissioned Barton to design seventeen of the thirty campus buildings constructed during the 1920s. He planned these in various renditions of red brick Georgian Revival, with the Chancellor’s House an especially handsome example. Many of these were constructed by the J. A. Jones Construction Company of Charlotte. His practice extended beyond his immediate community, as he was awarded prestigious commissions in such eastern North Carolina communities as Fayetteville and Smithfield.

During the Great Depression, Barton stayed in business with public works projects, such as the economically built Alleghany County Courthouse. Shortly before his death in 1937, Barton was developing plans to remodel Greensboro’s old First Presbyterian Church into a civic center, now Greensboro’s Historical Museum, but he died before completing the work.

Over his long career, Barton worked with several junior colleagues including Lorenzo S. Winslow, Stiles Dixon and Albert Carl Wirth. He also collaborated with practitioners of national stature, most notably Hobart Upjohn of New York. Their First Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, a towering Norman Revival edifice for which Barton supervised construction, received an honor award from the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 1930. (The award program, begun in 1929, continued until 1931, then terminated because of the Great Depression; it was renewed in 1955.)

Barton was one of the first licensed architects in North Carolina. His license certificate, issued in 1915, was #44 in the official registration book of the North Carolina Board of Architecture, one of the early group of men who were licensed in the state based on their having been in professional practice prior to the licensing act of 1915.

Active in civic life and widely respected in his adopted community, Barton was a Mason, an elder at First Presbyterian Church from 1917 until his death, a president of the Kiwanis club, a member of other civic groups, and mayor of Hamilton Lakes suburb where he resided (now a neighborhood of Greensboro). Professionally, he was a member of the national American Institute of Architects; a member of the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, and president in 1932-1933, guiding the chapter through some of the most difficult years of the Great Depression; and secretary of the State Board of Examiners in Architecture. At Barton’s death the local newspapers marked the passing of a man “prominent as Architect, Churchman and Civic Leader.” He was survived by his wife, Rachel, and daughters Eleanor, Emma, and Ruth. Few of Barton’s drawings are known to survive, and most of those are in the hands of the buildings’ owners. There is a small collection of his drawings at NCSU Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

  • Charlotte Vestal Brown Papers, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
  • Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
  • R.D.W. Connor, North Carolina: Rebuilding an Ancient Commonwealth, 3 (1928).
  • Gayle Hicks Fripp, John Harden, Dewitt Carroll, and William J. Moore, Greensboro: A Chosen Center, an Illustrated History (1982).
  • Jean Gordon, “Chancellor’s House Notes,” Nov. 2000, Jean Gordon Papers, University of North Carolina at Greensboro Archives, Greensboro, North Carolina.
  • Greensboro Daily News, Dec. 8, 1912; May 5, 1937; May 10, 1937.
  • Ruth Little-Stokes, An Inventory of Historic Greensboro: Greensboro, North Carolina (1976).
  • North Carolina Board of Architecture, Record Book 1915-1992, microfilmed by North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh, North Carolina.
  • Laura A. W. Phillips, Reidsville, N.C.: An Inventory of Historic and Architectural Resources (1981).
Sort Building List by:
  • Alamance County Courthouse II

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Graham, Alamance County
    Street Address:
    1 Court Square, intersection of Elm St. and Main St., Graham, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).

  • Alleghany County Courthouse

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; Fowler-Jones Lumber Co., builders
    Dates:
    1933
    Location:
    Sparta, Alleghany County
    Street Address:
    12 N. Main St., Sparta, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).

  • Aycock Auditorium

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1927
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

  • Bailey Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1922
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Brown Music Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Chancellor's House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1923
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    Large and handsomely detailed Georgian Revival style residence in red brick with classical detailing, exemplary of Barton's work. Moved by Preservation North Carolina to save it from destruction.

  • Charles W. McCrary House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1930
    Location:
    Asheboro, Randolph County
    Street Address:
    240 Worth St., Asheboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Lowell McKay Whatley, The Architectural History of Randolph County, North Carolina (1985).

  • Coit Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1923
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Cone Export and Commission Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    330 S. Greene St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Note:
    Rendered in a picturesque Tudor Revival mode, the commercial building stood out among the generally Romanesque or Italianate commercial buildings of the city.

  • Cotten Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1922
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Cumberland County Courthouse

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; Stiles S. Dixon, architect; William P. Rose, contractor
    Dates:
    1924-1926
    Location:
    Fayetteville, Cumberland County
    Street Address:
    Intersection of Franklin St., Gillespie St., and Russell St., Fayetteville, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).

  • Ferndale Junior High School

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1931
    Location:
    High Point, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    701 Ferndale Blvd., High Point, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Images Puslished In:
    H. McKelden Smith, Architectural Resources: An Inventory of Historic Architecture, High Point, Jamestown, Gibsonville, Guilford County (1979).

  • First Baptist Church

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1927
    Location:
    Siler City, Chatham County
    Street Address:
    314 N. 2nd Ave., Siler City, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Rachel Osborne and Ruth Selden-Sturgill, The Architectural Heritage of Chatham County, North Carolina (1991).

  • First Methodist Church

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Asheboro, Randolph County
    Street Address:
    224 N. Fayetteville St., Asheboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Lowell McKay Whatley, The Architectural History of Randolph County, North Carolina (1985).

  • First Presbyterian Church

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, local and supervising architect; Hobart Upjohn, principal designer
    Dates:
    1928-1929
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    617 N. Elm St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    C. David Jackson and Charlotte V. Brown, History of the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, 1913-1998 (1998).
    Note:
    Monumental Norman Revival church in Fisher Park suburb, Hobart Upjohn, principal designer, with Harry Barton, local and supervising architect. The church won a price from the North Carolina chapter of the AIA, with Upjohn cited as architect. A partial set of drawings for First Presbyterian Church, mainly plans, by Hobart Upjohn and Harry Barton, is held by Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina. It is in the Albert C. Woodroof, Jr. Papers and Architectural Drawings, 1927 - 1975.

  • First Presbyterian Church

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; Hobart Upjohn, jconsulting architect
    Dates:
    1927-1928
    Location:
    High Point, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    918 N. Main St., High Point, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Benjamin Briggs, The Architecture of High Point, North Carolina: A History and Guide to the City's Houses, Churches and Public Buildings (2008).
    C. David Jackson and Charlotte V. Brown, History of the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, 1913-1998 (1998).
    H. McKelden Smith, Architectural Resources: An Inventory of Historic Architecture, High Point, Jamestown, Gibsonville, Guilford County (1979).
    Note:
    The church won a prize from the North Carolina chapter of the AIA, which credited Barton as the chief architect, Upjohn as consulting.

  • Foust Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1928
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Galen Stone Hall

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1927
    Location:
    Sedalia, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    Palmer Memorial Institute (Charlotte Hawkins Brown Historic Site), Sedalia, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Granite Lodge No. 322

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1931
    Location:
    Mount Airy, Surry County
    Street Address:
    212 Franklin St., Mount Airy, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Fraternal
    Images Puslished In:
    Laura A. W. Phillips, Simple Treasures: The Architectural Legacy of Surry County (1987).
    Note:
    Listed in Manufacturers' Record in 1931 as Barton's work.

  • Gray Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1921
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Greensboro City Hall

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; C. W. Angle Co., contractor
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    NE corner of Greene St. and Gaston St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Gayle Hicks Fripp, John Harden, Dewitt Carroll, and William J. Moore, Greensboro: A Chosen Center, an Illustrated History (1982).
    Note:
    The city hall was a 4-story edifice of limestone and Mount Airy granite. It was razed ca. 1970s.

  • Greensboro Daily News Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. L. Crouse, contractor
    Variant Name(s):
    Greenhill Center for the NC Arts
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    200-204 N. Davie St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

  • Guilford County Courthouse

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; William P. Rose, builder
    Dates:
    1918
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    301 W. Market St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

  • Guilford County Home for the Aged and Infirmed

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; William P. Rose, contractor
    Variant Name(s):
    Evergreens Rest Home
    Dates:
    Ca. 1922
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    N. Side of E. Bessemer and Franklin Blvd., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Ruth Little-Stokes, An Inventory of Historic Greensboro: Greensboro, North Carolina (1976).

  • Guilford Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1928
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Harry Barton House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1927
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    104 Kemp Rd., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Note:
    Barton's own house, Spanish details.

  • High Point Central High School

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1927
    Location:
    High Point, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    801 Ferndale Blvd., High Point, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Images Puslished In:
    H. McKelden Smith, Architectural Resources: An Inventory of Historic Architecture, High Point, Jamestown, Gibsonville, Guilford County (1979).

  • Hinshaw Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1922
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • J.W. Galloway House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1919
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    999 N. Elm St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

  • Jamison Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1923
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • John W. King House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    314 North Church St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Note:
    Built shortly after Barton separated from Weston, this was one of the earliest examples of Tudor Revival residential architecture in Greensboro.

  • Johnston County Courthouse

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; Joe W. Stout, contractor; Joe W. Stout & Co., contractors
    Dates:
    1921
    Location:
    Smithfield, Johnston County
    Street Address:
    212 E. Market St., Smithfield, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).

  • Meyer's Department Store

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    200-206 S. Elm St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

  • Morrison-Neese Furniture Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1924
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    118-120 West Market St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial

  • New Curry Education Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1926
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Piedmont Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1927
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    114 N. Elm St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Ruth Little-Stokes, An Inventory of Historic Greensboro: Greensboro, North Carolina (1976).

  • Pilot Life Insurance Co. Complex

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, local architect; Zantzinger, Borie & Medary, architects
    Dates:
    1927-1928
    Location:
    Sedgefield, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    High Point Rd., Sedgefield, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
    H. McKelden Smith, Architectural Resources: An Inventory of Historic Architecture, High Point, Jamestown, Gibsonville, Guilford County (1979).

  • Presbyterian Church of the Covenant

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Guilford County
    Street Address:
    501 S. Mendenhall St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

  • Reidsville Municipal Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1926
    Location:
    Reidsville, Rockingham County
    Street Address:
    220 W. Morehead St., Reidsville, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Laura A. W. Phillips, Reidsville, N.C.: An Inventory of Historic and Architectural Resources (1981).
    Note:
    Listed in Manufacturers' Record in 1926 as Barton's work.

  • Rosenthal Gym

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1925
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • S.H. Tomlinson House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    High Point, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    403 Hillcrest Dr., High Point, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
    H. McKelden Smith, Architectural Resources: An Inventory of Historic Architecture, High Point, Jamestown, Gibsonville, Guilford County (1979).
    Note:
    Large, opulent Tudor Revival residence of furniture industry leader. Barton's drawings are at the Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.

  • Sedgefield Country Club

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, attributed architect
    Dates:
    1927
    Location:
    Sedgefield, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    3201 Forsyth Dr., Sedgefield, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Recreational
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).

  • Shaw Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1920
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Sigmund Sternberger House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    United Arts Center
    Dates:
    Ca. 1925
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    710 Summit Ave., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Ruth Little-Stokes, An Inventory of Historic Greensboro: Greensboro, North Carolina (1976).

  • South Dining Hall

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Stone Economics Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1928
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Surry County Courthouse

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; Raleigh James Hughes, architect
    Dates:
    1916
    Location:
    Dobson, Surry County
    Street Address:
    114 West Atkins St., Dobson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Laura A. W. Phillips, Simple Treasures: The Architectural Legacy of Surry County (1987).

  • Temple Emanuel

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; Hobart Upjohn, architect
    Dates:
    1921
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    N. Greene St. and Florence St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

  • W.W. Graves House

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; Joe W. Stout, contractor; Joe W. Stout & Co., contractors
    Dates:
    1922
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    800 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • West Dining Hall

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; J. A. Jones, builder; J. A. Jones Construction Company, builders
    Dates:
    1921
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • World War Memorial Stadium

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1926
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    510 Yanceyville St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Ruth Little-Stokes, An Inventory of Historic Greensboro: Greensboro, North Carolina (1976).

  • YMCA Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect; William P. Rose, contractor
    Dates:
    Ca. 1915
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    517 West Market St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Recreational

  • YWCA Building

    Contributors:
    Harry Barton, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:
    314 N. Davie St., Greensboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Recreational

    image/svg+xml Durham Greenville Raleigh ChapelHill Fayetteville Wilmington Winston-Salem Charlotte Asheville Goldsboro Greens-boro Edenton New Bern Salisbury Warren-ton ElizabethCity