Wheeler, McMichael, and Company (1901-1902)
The architectural firm was formed in 1901 in Charlotte by Oliver Duke Wheeler and James M. McMichael. This was one of a series of partnerships formed by Wheeler. Both he and McMichael continued as prolific architects after their brief partnership ended in 1902. For the firm’s operation and selected building list, see the Oliver Duke Wheeler entry and the James M. McMichael entry.
- Variant Name(s):Charlotte Public LibraryDates:1901-1903Location:Charlotte, Mecklenburg CountyStreet Address:310 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NCStatus:No longer standingType:PublicImages Puslished In:Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).Note:A notice carried in the Roxboro Courier of November 6, 1901, reported that Lazenby Brothers of Statesville had the contract to build the $25,000 Carnegie library. It was to be "of the French renaissance style." The Manufacturers' Record of November 7, 1901, noted that "Lazenby Brothers of Statesville" had received a $25,000 contract to erect a proposed Carnegie Library in Charlotte, a prominent edifice designed by Wheeler, McMichael, and Company (the short-lived partnership of Oliver Wheeler and James M. McMichael). The accompanying postcard image shows the library on the right, and First Baptist Church on the left.
- Dates:1902Location:Wilkesboro, Wilkes CountyStreet Address:E. Main St. at N. Bridge St., Wilkesboro, NCStatus:StandingType:PublicImages Puslished In:Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).Note:In a time-honored practice, the Wilkes County building committee visited courthouses in Laurinburg and Statesville (both by Wheeler's firm) and selected that design model, the architect, and even the same builder, L.W. Cooper and Company of Charlotte.