Lazenby Brothers (ca. 1890-ca. 1902)
For a building list and more details, see Alfred Lazenby.
Sort Building List by:
- Dates:1899-1900Location:Statesville, Iredell CountyStreet Address:Park St., Statesville, NCStatus:No longer standingType:Health CareNote:The Statesville Record and Landmark of August 13, 1959, carried a historical account by Homer Keever about the Billingsley Hospital, a bequest to the city from a minister named Amos S. Billingsley. Hook and Sawyer were employed as the architects, and the contract went to the Lazenby Brothers. It served for many years and was eventually razed.
- Variant Name(s):Charlotte Public LibraryDates:1901-1903Location:Charlotte, Mecklenburg CountyStreet Address:310 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NCStatus:No longer standingType:PublicImages Puslished In:Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).Note:A notice carried in the Roxboro Courier of November 6, 1901, reported that Lazenby Brothers of Statesville had the contract to build the $25,000 Carnegie library. It was to be "of the French renaissance style." The Manufacturers' Record of November 7, 1901, noted that "Lazenby Brothers of Statesville" had received a $25,000 contract to erect a proposed Carnegie Library in Charlotte, a prominent edifice designed by Wheeler, McMichael, and Company (the short-lived partnership of Oliver Wheeler and James M. McMichael). The accompanying postcard image shows the library on the right, and First Baptist Church on the left.
- Variant Name(s):St. Philip's Catholic ChurchDates:1898Location:Statesville, Iredell CountyStreet Address:156 E. Sharpe St., Statesville, NCStatus:StandingType:ReligiousNote:The small brick church in Gothic Revival style features a crenellated corner tower. It was built in memory of a Philip Barton Key (a grand nephew of Francis Scott Key), who became a businessman in Statesville after the Civil War.
- Dates:Ca. 1902Location:Charlotte, Mecklenburg CountyStreet Address:Tenth Ave., Charlotte, NCStatus:No longer standingType:ReligiousNote:The Manufacturer's Record of November 14, 1901, said that Lazenby Brothers of Statesville had a contract to build a proposed Graham Street Presbyterian Church in Charlotte after plans by Hook and Sawyer. A year later, an article in the Charlotte News of November 8, 1902, explained that the congregation had decided to build at a new location at the corner of 10th and Pine Streets and to rename the church Tenth Avenue Presbyterian Church. The newspaper printed a drawing of the Gothic Revival church. After that church burned, the congregation moved to another site and became Third Presbyterian Church, which is still active.