Hayden, Wheeler, and Schwend (1899-1900)
The architectural firm was formed in 1899 in Charlotte when Oliver Duke Wheeler and Luke Hayden of Hayden and Wheeler took Louis E. Schwend as partner. Schwend died in November 1900. This was one of a series of partnerships formed by Wheeler. For the firm’s operation and selected building list, see the entries for Oliver Duke Wheeler and Louis E. Schwend.
- Dates:1899Location:Charlotte, Mecklenburg CountyStreet Address:Charlotte, NCStatus:No longer standingType:CommercialImages Puslished In:Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).Note:The Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company Building is the first building on the left in the postcard.
- Dates:1900-1902Location:Charlotte, Mecklenburg CountyStreet Address:219 S. Brevard St., Charlotte, NCStatus:StandingType:ReligiousImages Puslished In:Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).Note:Contractor William W. Smith was a leading member of the congregation, which was formed in 1886.
- Dates:1899-1900Location:Statesville, Iredell CountyStreet Address:Center St. at Court St., Statesville, NCStatus:StandingType:PublicImages Puslished In:Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).Note:This courthouse, designed by Louis Schwend, became the prototype for many other courthouses designed by Wheeler and his partners in North Carolina.
- Dates:1900Location:Concord, Cabarrus CountyStreet Address:65 N. Union St., Concord, NCStatus:StandingType:ResidentialImages Puslished In:Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).
- Dates:1902Location:Durham, Durham CountyStreet Address:Trinity College Campus, Durham, NCStatus:No longer standingType:EducationalImages Puslished In:Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).Note:The photograph shows a portion of the Trinity College Campus (now the East Campus of Duke University). The building in the right foreground is the Craven Memorial Bulding designed by Hook and Sawyer. Behind it, the domed building is the Trinity College Library by Hayden, Wheeler, and Schwend.