Hook and Sawyer (1898-1905)

The firm of Hook and Sawyer was the first of three architectural partnerships formed by architect C. C. Hook. The firm, established by Hook and North Carolinian Frank McMurray Sawyer, operated from 1898 to 1905 and reported 103 projects to the Manufacturers’ Record. In 1902 the pair published Some Designs of Hook & Sawyer, Architects, 1892-1902. For selected works, see C. C. Hook entry.

Sort Building List by:
  • Agriculture Building

    Contributors:
    William Carter Bain, contractor (1903-1905); C. C. Hook, architect (1903-1905); Hook and Sawyer, architects (1903-1905); Ross Edward Shumaker, architect (1930 and 1940); Hobart Upjohn, architect (1924)
    Variant Name(s):

    Patterson Hall

    Dates:

    1903-1905; 1924 [renovated]; 1930 [renovated]; 1940 [renovated]

    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:

    North Carolina State University Campus, Raleigh, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Marguerite E. Schumann, Strolling at State: A Walking Guide to North Carolina State University (1973).

    Note:

    The Manufacturers’ Record (July 21, 1904) announced that S. L. Patterson, commissioner of agriculture, was to open bids on August 2nd for construction of the agriculture building for the N. C. College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. Potential bidders could view plans at the commissioner’s office or “at the office of Hook and Sawyer, architects, Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh.” This is a recent link with the architects for this prominent building at the university. Patterson Hall is said to have been modeled after the agriculture building at Ohio State University.


  • Billingsley Hospital

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Alfred Lazenby, builder; Lazenby Brothers, builders
    Dates:

    1899-1900

    Location:
    Statesville, Iredell County
    Street Address:

    Park St., Statesville, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Health Care

    Note:

    The Statesville Record and Landmark of August 13, 1959, carried a historical account by Homer Keever about the Billingsley Hospital, a bequest to the city from a minister named Amos S. Billingsley. Hook and Sawyer were employed as the architects, and the contract went to the Lazenby Brothers. It served for many years and was eventually razed.


  • Bivins Hall

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1905

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    Duke University East Campus, Durham, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).


  • Blakeney House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect; John Wallace, contractor
    Dates:

    1903

    Location:
    Monroe, Union County
    Street Address:

    418 E. Franklin St., Monroe, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential


  • Carnegie Library

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1904-1906

    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:

    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC

    Status:

    Altered

    Type:

    Educational

    Note:

    The Carnegie Library was one of several projects for Hook at present UNCG, where he also planned dormitories and other facilities. It was damaged by fire in 1932 and rebuilt and enlarged in 1933, expanded in 1955, and renovated in the early 21st century.


  • Concord City Hall

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1903

    Location:
    Concord, Cabarrus County
    Street Address:

    S. Union St., Concord, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Public

    Images Puslished In:

    Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
    Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).

    Note:

    The drawing for the Concord City Hall featured in Hook and Sawyer (1902) showed an eclectic blend of Renaissance and Italianate motifs, including a campanile-like fire tower on the right. As shown in a photograph (Kaplan, Cabarrus County), however, the building had the tower on the left.


  • Durham Municipal Building and Auditorium

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Variant Name(s):

    Academy of Music

    Dates:

    1902-1904

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    Corcoran St., Durham, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Public

    Images Puslished In:

    Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).


  • Elks Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect (1900-1902); Hook and Sawyer, architects (1900-1902); Joseph F. Leitner, architect (1911); Leitner and Wilkins, architects (1906); Frank M. Sawyer, architect (1900-1902)
    Dates:

    1900-1902; 1906; 1911

    Location:
    Wilmington, New Hanover County
    Street Address:

    255-259 N. Front St., Wilmington, NC

    Status:

    Altered

    Type:

    Fraternal

    Images Puslished In:

    Tony P. Wrenn, Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait (1984).

    Note:

    In early March, 1900, it was reported that architect Charles McMillen was drawing up plans for the Elks building. Later that month the lodge leadership received plans from other architects, including Hook and Sawyer of Charlotte, who gained the commission in April after a personal visit from Frank M. Sawyer. Newspaper references generally identify Sawyer as the architect for the building. The 3-story brick structure was completed within the year, and the Wilmington Messenger of December 7, 1907 noted that the lodge had held their first meeting there on the previous evening. “The elks’ head with electric lights on the tips of the antlers was a pretty sight last night when it was lighted for the meeting. It is on the outside of the building and not only was it lighted but the entire building was brilliantly illuminated.” A previous report in the Wilmington Morning Star of November 14, 1900, had noted the arrival of the bronze elk’s head by a steamer from New York. Within a few years, first the interior and then the front façade were remodeled by architect Leitner, and additional changes were made later in the 20th century. At some point the elk’s head on the façade was removed. Tony P. Wrenn (Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait [1984]) notes that in 1906 the organizational meeting of the North Carolina Association of Architects, predecessor of the state chapter of the American Institute of Architects, was held here. Charles C. Hook was elected president.


  • First Presbyterian Church

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1905

    Location:
    Mocksville, Davie County
    Street Address:

    261 S. Main St., Mocksville, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Religious

    Images Puslished In:

    Kirk Franklin Mohney, The Historic Architecture of Davie County, North Carolina: An Inventory Analysis and Documentary Catalogue (1986).

    Note:

    The Romanesque Revival brick building is said to incorporate the walls of the 1840 meeting house that preceded it.


  • First Presbyterian Church Sunday School and Auditorium

    Contributors:
    William Carter Bain, contractor; C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Variant Name(s):

    Greensboro Historical Museum

    Dates:

    1903

    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:

    220 Church St., Greensboro, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Religious

    Images Puslished In:

    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).

    Note:

    The large, Romanesque Revival building was erected as an addition to First Presbyterian Church built in 1892 and designed by L. B. Volk and Son. The pair of brick edifices now houses the local history museum. The congregation subsequently built and moved to First Presbyterian Church (1928-1929), designed by Hobart Upjohn and Harry Barton and located in the Fisher Park suburb (see entries for Hobart Upjohn and Harry Barton).


  • Flora McDonald College

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1900-1910

    Location:
    Red Springs, Robeson County
    Street Address:

    College St., Red Springs, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).

    Note:

    The architects provided a more elaborate composition for the college main building than was actually built.


  • Grace Episcopal Church

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1901-1902

    Location:
    Lexington, Davidson County
    Street Address:

    419 S. Main St., Lexington, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Religious


  • Greensboro Loan and Trust Company

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1902

    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:

    319-321 S. Elm St., Greensboro, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).
    Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).

    Note:

    The street level façade has been replaced, but the upper stories of the façade remain as designed by Hook and Sawyer.


  • Hambley-Wallace House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Alfred Lazenby, builder; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1902

    Location:
    Salisbury, Rowan County
    Street Address:

    508 S. Fulton St., Salisbury, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential

    Images Puslished In:

    Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).

    Note:

    The grand Châteauesque stone and brick residence was built for Egbert Barry Cornwall Hambley, a Cornish-born civil and mining engineer who came to North Carolina to work in gold mining before becoming involved in development of hydroelectric power on the Yadkin River. The house and the grounds make extensive use of granite from quarries owned by Hambley near the present town of Granite Quarry in eastern Rowan County. The scale and elaborateness of the mansion and its grounds made it exceptional in Salisbury and the state. The Salisbury Evening Sun of October 17, 1901 reported that Hambley had let the contract to the Lazenby Brothers for his residence “which Architect Hook says will be one of the finest in North Carolina.” “These gentlemen have been among the most successful contractors in North Carolina and the fact that they win out over all other competitors is a credit to them.”


  • John Love Buildings

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, attributed architect; Hook and Rogers, attributed architects; Hook and Sawyer, attributed architects; Willard G. Rogers, attributed architect; Frank M. Sawyer, attributed architect
    Dates:

    1904; ca. 1906-1908

    Location:
    Gastonia, Gaston County
    Street Address:

    213-223 W. Main Ave., Gastonia, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Kim Withers Brengle, The Architectural Heritage of Gaston County, North Carolina (1982).

    Note:

    In 1899 and 1906 the Manufacturers’ Record carried news of Hook’s firms designing office buildings for John Love, which may be these.


  • Martin Chemical Laboratory Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1901

    Location:
    Davidson, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:

    Davidson College, Davidson, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).

    Note:

    Hook and Hook and Sawyer planned several buildings for Davidson College, but none of them is known to survive. The Martin Chemical Laboratory, which housed science facilities, stood until 1941.


  • Martin-McKinnon House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1898

    Location:
    Red Springs, Robeson County
    Street Address:

    225 East 3rd Ave., Red Springs, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential


  • Pythian Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1902

    Location:
    Concord, Cabarrus County
    Street Address:

    36-40 S. Union St., Concord, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Fraternal

    Images Puslished In:

    Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
    Peter R. Kaplan, The Historic Architecture of Cabarrus County, North Carolina (2004).

    Note:

    Hook and Sawyer’s drawing for the boldly composed 3-story building of rusticated stone is featured in Some Designs of Hook and Sawyer (1902). It is one of the landmarks of downtown Concord.


  • Robert Flowers House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1900-1910

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    Duke University, Durham, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential

    Images Puslished In:

    Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).


  • Southern Conservatory of Music

    Contributors:
    David Getaz, contractor; David Getaz Company, contractors; C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1899-1900

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    SW corner of Main St. and Duke St., Durham, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Jean Bradley Anderson, Durham County: A History of Durham County, North Carolina (1990).

    Note:

    The Southern Conservatory of Music was established in 1898 and in 1900 the Duke family sponsored construction of a substantial building in memory of Mary Duke Lyon (the only daughter of Washington Duke), who died in 1893. The grand building in “Italianate” style was built to accommodate a school for music and a concert hall. The principal, Prof. Gilmore Ward Bryant, according to the Durham Sun of August 10, 1899, came to Durham in hopes of establishing such a conservatory in the South, and the project was funded by Washington Duke and his son Benjamin Duke, who were both instrumental in establishing Trinity College (later Duke University) in Durham. The conservatory opened in March 1900 (Durham Sun, March 9, 1900).


  • Spencer Hall

    Contributors:
    William Carter Bain, contractor; C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Rogers, architects; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Willard G. Rogers, architect; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Variant Name(s):

    New Dormitory

    Dates:

    1904;1907

    Location:
    Greensboro, Guilford County
    Street Address:

    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Educational

    Images Puslished In:

    Marvin A. Brown, Greensboro: An Architectural Record (1995).

    Note:

    Spencer Hall is the principal surviving building by Hook and Sawyer at present University of North Carolina Greensboro (the State Normal and Industrial College), where Hook also planned other buildings including an auditorium, a library, and other dormitories. When completed it was described as largest women’s dormitory in the country under one roof. The Julius Isaac Foust Papers at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro University Archives and Manuscripts includes correspondence with the firm of Hook and Rogers (1910s) and Thomas Sears (1920s) about campus buildings and landscaping.


  • Spray Inn

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1900

    Location:
    Eden, Rockingham County
    Street Address:

    Eden, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Hook and Sawyer, Some Designs by Hook & Sawyer, Architects, Charlotte, N.C. (1902).
    M. Ruth Little and Claudia Roberts Brown, A Tale of Three Cities: Eden’s Heritage: A Pictorial Survey (1986).

    Note:

    The Spray Inn, shown in a photograph in Hook and Sawyer (1902) was built for the textile industrial community of Spray, which became part of the town of Eden. It was a long, gambrel roofed building combining Shingle and Colonial Revival styles, with a full-length 1-story porch with stout columns.


  • Tenth Avenue Presbyterian Church

    Contributors:
    Hook and Sawyer, architects; Alfred Lazenby, builder; Lazenby Brothers, builders
    Dates:

    Ca. 1902

    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:

    Tenth Ave., Charlotte, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Religious

    Note:

    The Manufacturer’s Record of November 14, 1901, said that Lazenby Brothers of Statesville had a contract to build a proposed Graham Street Presbyterian Church in Charlotte after plans by Hook and Sawyer. A year later, an article in the Charlotte News of November 8, 1902, explained that the congregation had decided to build at a new location at the corner of 10th and Pine Streets and to rename the church Tenth Avenue Presbyterian Church. The newspaper printed a drawing of the Gothic Revival church. After that church burned, the congregation moved to another site and became Third Presbyterian Church, which is still active.


  • Trust Building

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1904-1905

    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:

    212 W. Main St., Durham, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Claudia P. Roberts (Brown) and Diane E. Lea, The Durham Architectural and Historic Inventory (1982).

    Note:

    According to the Manufacturers’ Record (Feb. 25, 1904) Hook and Sawyer designed this commercial building for contractor Norman Underwood. When it was built, the 6-story building was one of the tallest in town. The Trust Building is pictured on the left.


  • Trust Building and Academy of Music

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Nicholas Ittner, contractor; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    1901-1902

    Location:
    Charlotte, Mecklenburg County
    Street Address:

    210-212 S. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC

    Status:

    No longer standing

    Type:

    Commercial

    Images Puslished In:

    Mary Norton Kratt and Mary Manning Boyer, Remembering Charlotte: Postcards from a New South City, 1905-1950 (2000).
    William T. Simmons and Lindsay L. Brooks, Charlotte and Mecklenburg County: A Pictorial History (1977).

    Note:

    The ornate 6-story office building, featuring classical and Chateauesque details, was one of the largest and tallest in downtown Charlotte at its completion. It contained an opera house known as the Academy of Music. It burned in 1922. The building is shown at the center of this block.


  • Walter Holt House

    Contributors:
    C. C. Hook, architect; Hook and Sawyer, architects; Frank M. Sawyer, architect
    Dates:

    Ca. 1900

    Location:
    Fayetteville, Cumberland County
    Street Address:

    806 Hay St., Fayetteville, NC

    Status:

    Standing

    Type:

    Residential


    image/svg+xml Durham Greenville Raleigh ChapelHill Fayetteville Wilmington Winston-Salem Charlotte Asheville Goldsboro Greens-boro Edenton New Bern Salisbury Warren-ton ElizabethCity