Atwood and Weeks

Founded:

North Carolina, USA

Residences:

  • Durham, North Carolina

Trades:

  • Architect

Styles & Forms:

Beaux-Arts; Colonial Revival; Georgian Revival; Mission

Atwood and Weeks was a prolific architectural firm established by engineer Thomas C. Atwood and architect H. Raymond Weeks in 1931, following the 1930 retirement of Atwood’s former partner Arthur C. Nash. Weeks had worked for the firm of Atwood and Nash for several years before Nash’s retirement, including projects for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After Atwood retired, Weeks continued for several years under his own name. For more information see entries on the individual architects and their works.

Sort Building List by:
  • Alderman Hall

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, architect; Atwood and Weeks, architects; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1937
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Note:
    Blueprints for this project are held by the University of North Carolina Library, Chapel Hill, in Collection Number 40102, "Physical Plant of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Records, 1904-1963."

  • Alexander Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; Atwood and Weeks, architects; Arthur C. Nash, consulting architect; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1939
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Institute of Government

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; Atwood and Weeks, architects; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1939
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • J. E. Evans House

    Contributors:
    Atwood and Weeks, architects; Coffey Family, contractors; John N. Coffey, contractor; John W. Coffey, contractor; John W. Coffey and Son, contractors
    Variant Name(s):
    John E. Evans House
    Dates:
    ca. 1930
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    1002 Vance St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Houses By Coffey, Charlotte Vestal Brown Papers, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.

  • Kenan Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; Atwood and Weeks, architects; Arthur C. Nash, consulting architect; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1937-1939
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Note:
    Blueprints for Kenan Hall are at the University of North Carolina Library, Chapel Hill, in Collection Number 40102, "Physical Plant of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Records, 1904-1963."

  • Lenoir Dining Hall

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; Atwood and Weeks, architects; Arthur C. Nash, consulting architect; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1939
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • McIver Dormitory

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; Atwood and Weeks, architects; Arthur C. Nash, consulting architect; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1937-1939
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Note:
    For McIver Hall, 10 sheets of blueprints from Atwood and Weeks are held by the University of North Carolina Library, Chapel Hill, in Collection Number 40102, "Physical Plant of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Records, 1904-1963."

  • Raleigh Memorial Auditorium

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer (1932); Atwood and Weeks, architects (1932); Arthur C. Nash, architect (1932); Pearce Brinkley Cease + Lee, architects (1996-2001); H. Raymond Weeks, architect (1932); C. V. York, contractor (1932)
    Variant Name(s):
    Duke Energy Memorial Auditorium
    Dates:
    1932; 1996-2001
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    South St. at south end of Fayetteville St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Altered
    Type:
    Public
    Note:
    Construction of the massive civic auditorium at the south terminus of Raleigh's principal commercial thoroughfare was a highly important project, especially given its timing in the early years of the Great Depression. Various architects hoped to gain the commission. The News and Observer reported on July 9, 1931, that Atwood and Weeks of Chapel Hill and Raleigh had been selected as the architects, noted that the firm was "formerly Atwood and Nash." The Raleigh Times of October 22, 1931, stated that contractor C. V. York was awarded the general contract on a bid of $225,696; additional contracts covered plumbing, heating, etc. The stone edifice with its powerful Doric portico was dedicated in May, 1932. An expansion by Pearce Brinkley Cease + Lee harmonizes with the original building and reiterates the original Doric façade (still intact) designed to complement the State Capitol at the opposite end of Fayetteville Street; the building was reopened in 2001.

  • United States Post Office

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, architect; Atwood and Weeks, architects; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1934
    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:
    323 E. Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public

  • Wilson Hall

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; Atwood and Weeks, architects; Arthur C. Nash, consulting architect; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1939
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Woollen Gym

    Contributors:
    Thomas C. Atwood, engineer; Atwood and Weeks, architects; Arthur C. Nash, consulting architect; H. Raymond Weeks, architect
    Dates:
    1937
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Campus, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational

    image/svg+xml Durham Greenville Raleigh ChapelHill Fayetteville Wilmington Winston-Salem Charlotte Asheville Goldsboro Greens-boro Edenton New Bern Salisbury Warren-ton ElizabethCity