Moore, Solon B. (1872-1930)

Variant Name(s):

Solon Balias Moore

Birthplace:

Cleveland County, North Carolina, USA

Residences:

  • Wilson, North Carolina

Trades:

  • Architect

Styles & Forms:

Colonial Revival; Gothic Revival; Tudor Revival

Solon B. (Balias) Moore (May 17, 1872-January 16, 1930) practiced architecture in Wilson for more than twenty years, briefly with Charles C. Benton, Sr., in 1910-1915 and then for sixteen years on his own. Arriving early in Wilson’s emergence as the leading bright leaf tobacco market in America and one of the wealthiest towns of its size in the nation, he figured prominently among the architects and builders who designed the Colonial Revival residences and robustly detailed bungalows for which the town is renowned.

Moore was born in the Waco community in Cleveland County in the foothills of North Carolina, the son of Dr. Simpson T. Moore, a dentist, and Elizabeth Moss. Educated in local rural schools, he learned the carpentry trade beginning at age fourteen. Little is known of his early manhood except that he is said by descendants to have worked as a carpenter in South Carolina, Alabama, Texas, Virginia, and Louisiana as well as in his home state. He married Shelby Tarleton in Rowan County in 1897, and the couple lived in Gastonia and had at least two children, Fedy and Myrtle, before divorcing about 1905.

In 1900, Moore identified himself to the census taker as an architect. Family tradition states that Moore studied architecture at night while practicing carpentry during the day. Late in 1905 he moved east to Wilson, probably drawn by its rapid growth and its tobacconists’ rising demand for construction of all kinds. He brought with him his daughter Myrtle, and for a time the two lived with Solon’s brother John and his wife Sarah. In 1908 the city directory listed Solon as a foreman, but the 1910 United States census noted him as an architect, residing with his daughter Myrtle in the home of his widowed sister-in-law Doney (Sarah?) Moore. By 1920 Moore had married Flossie Davis of Wilson and his household included his wife, their daughter Sarah, and his grown daughter Myrtle.

None of Moore’s work in Gastonia has been identified, and few of his early commissions in Wilson, with the exception of the W. G. Carr House (ca. 1907), a frame residence in Colonial Revival style built for a tobacco warehouse owner.

In about 1910 Moore went into partnership with young Wilson architect, Charles C. Benton, Sr. Their brief but prolific partnership (ca. 1910-ca. 1915) produced several imposing neoclassical edifices in Wilson including two hospitals and the large, columned Fidelity Mutual Life Building, the Gothic Revival style St. John’s African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, and a number of residences. Developing a specialty in the growing health care business, beyond Wilson they designed the imposing, neoclassical Elizabeth City Hospital and, one of their last projects together, the simpler but similar Rainey Hospital in Burlington. The firm frequently sent notices of their projects to the Manufacturers’ Record.

After the partnership ended, Charles Benton formed the firm of Benton and Benton with his brother Frank W. Benton and took on projects in many communities, while Moore’s practice concentrated in Wilson. Over the following sixteen years, Moore planned several commercial buildings in classical styles, at least one tobacco warehouse, and numerous residences. His houses in the Colonial Revival style often featured semi-circular porticoes and tile roofs. His imaginative and highly livable bungalows contributed to Wilson notable collection of such dwellings, large and small. Moore’s bungalows, as exemplified by the Selby Anderson House, were generally built of brick, sometimes featuring shingles and half-timbering. His own home, built in 1924, displayed the gambrel-roofed Dutch Colonial style. Moore’s residences stand throughout much of the western residential sector of town, including those along the architecturally illustrious residential avenues of West Nash Street and Raleigh Road.

Moore died in Wilson on January 16, 1930 and was buried on January 18 in Maplewood Cemetery. His pall bearers included leading local citizens and prominent contractors Will and Rob Wilkins, J. B. Batton, W. M. Jones, and Sam Winstead of Wilson, and D. J. Rose of Rocky Mount.

Editor’s note: Most of the Wilson buildings cited to Moore in the building list were identified by Kate Ohno in the 1970s from a collection of Moore’s photographs and records held by a descendant, which permitted an unusually complete picture of his works. Not all of the projects cited to Benton and Moore in the Manufacturers’ Record have been confirmed.

  • R.D.W. Connor, North Carolina: Rebuilding an Ancient Commonwealth, 3 (1928).
  • Michael Cotter, Kate Ohno, and Mary Hollis Barnes, The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina (1989).
  • Industrial and Commercial Wilson, North Carolina (1912).
  • Manufacturers’ Record, various issues.
  • S. B. Moore Photograph Collection, private collection of Mrs. Thorpe Smith.
  • Kate Ohno, Wilson County’s Architectural Heritage (1981).
  • Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
Sort Building List by:
  • A. L. Lancaster House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, attributed architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    206 Raleigh Rd. (S), Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    A Colonial Revival residence with a neoclassical porch and eyebrow dormers.

  • A. N. Daniel House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1925
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    209 Goldsboro St. (N), Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Ayden School

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Ayden, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    W. 3rd St., Ayden, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Note:
    Manufacturers' Record, Feb. 5, 1914.

  • B. J. Pully House

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    Greenville, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    Manufacturers' Record, Feb. 19, 1914.

  • B. Vance Forbes House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1006 Branch St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential

  • Ben T. Smith House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1928
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1505 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Borroughs-Pittman-Wheeler Co. Building

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1915
    Location:
    Scotland Neck, Halifax County
    Street Address:
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Commercial
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record of April 2, 1914, noted that Benton and Moore had planned a building for the Borroughs-Pittman-Wheeler Co., 50 by 106 feet, 3 stories.

  • C. W. Stokes House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, attributed architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    209 Broad St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Carroll Building

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1922
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    315 E. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    The 3-story, classically detailed brick building typfies Moore's commercial buildings and the character of downtown Wilson.

  • Claude V. Garner House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1928
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    707 Broad St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    A representative example of Moore's 2-story, brick Colonial Revival residences with a full-height central portico sheltering a 1-story, curved entrance portico.

  • Clyde Farmer House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    W. Vance St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Residential

  • Connor C. Harriss House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    W. Vance St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Residential

  • Cooper Building

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Fayetteville, Cumberland County
    Street Address:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Commercial
    Note:
    Manufacturers' Record, Feb. 19, 1914.

  • Davis Building

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1916
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    200 E. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    The straightforward, classically detailed 4-story brick building anchors a key corner in downtown Wilson.

  • Douglas Aycock House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1926
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • E. B. Ferguson House

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    607 W. 4th St., Greenville, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    Manufacturers' Record, Feb. 5, 1914. This was one of a several houses reported in the journal of that date as designed by this firm, including those for F. J. Forbes and B. J. Pully, for which no further information has been located.

  • E. L. Tarkenton House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, attributed architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Altered
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Elizabeth City Hospital

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914-1915
    Location:
    Elizabeth City, Pasquotank County
    Street Address:
    1301 Carolina Ave., Elizabeth City, NC
    Status:
    Altered
    Type:
    Health Care
    Images Puslished In:
    Thomas R. Butchko, On the Shores of the Pasquotank: The Architectural Heritage of Elizabeth City and Pasquotank County, North Carolina (1989).
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record of March 5, 1914, reported that Dr. John Soliba and Benton and Moore, architects, would receive bids to erected the Elizabeth City Hospital, 3 stories, steam heat, tile roof, to cost $25,000. As pictured by Butchko, the edifice was among the most imposing hospital buildings of its day, a massive, generally symmetrical brick building, two stories on a raised basement with a Corinthian portico and dome more typical of a courthouse than a hospital. It was greatly altered later in the 20th century. In 1988 the architects' original rendering was on display at the Albemarle Hospital. Its present whereabouts is uncertain.

  • F. J. Forbes House

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    Greenville, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    Manufacturers' Record, Feb. 5, 1914.

  • Fayetteville Infirmary

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Cumberland General Hospital
    Dates:
    1912
    Location:
    Fayetteville, Cumberland County
    Street Address:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Health Care
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record, June 27, 1912, said that Benton and Moore were preparing plans for a 4-story hospital in Fayetteville. On Aug. 1 the journal said that the Fayetteville Infirmary Co. had awarded a contract to Wilkins Construction Co. of Wilson—a 58 x 88 foot, 3-story facility of "mill construction," with hot water heat, electric lighting, and a hand-operated elevator, to cost $15,000. It later became Cumberland General Hospital and still later a hotel.

  • Fidelity Mutual Life Building

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1926
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    100 block Goldsboro St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Note:
    The large, columned building, a major work by the firm, was among the most imposing commercial structures in Wilson.

  • Fire Station No. 1

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1926
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    209 N. Douglas St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    Designed in a form and style compatible with nearby residential architecture,the 2-story brick station features a broad overhanging roof and big brackets evoking the Craftsman and Mission styles.

  • Frederick Flowers House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1925
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    906 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • G. Erick Bell House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1922
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    800 W. Vance St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    The expansive, foursquare brick house featured a wraparound porch and Craftsman details.

  • Gordon B. Jones House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1925
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    207 Clyde Ave., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Grady Building

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Wilson Theatre
    Dates:
    1919
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    108 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial

  • Greenville Banking and Trust Building

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1910
    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    471 S. Evans St., Greenville, NC
    Status:
    Altered
    Type:
    Commercial
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record of Jan. 2, 1913, reported that the Greenville Banking and Trust would erect a bank building from plans by Benton and Moore.

  • H. B. Culbreth House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    215 Raleigh Rd., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • H. Mosley Hussey House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1920
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1131 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Harry W. Abbitt House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1926
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1105 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    The large, brick Colonial Revival residence with 1-story porch is one of the row of handsome houses lining W. Nash St., displaying designs by a variety of local and out-of-town architects.

  • Hassell-James Building

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    James and Hassell Office Building
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    105 W. 3rd St., Greenville, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Note:
    Manufacturers' Record, Feb. 5, 1914.

  • Hewland Branch House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1925-1928
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    313 Sunset Dr., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • I. Leroy Darden House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1926
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1109 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • J. A. Clark House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1920
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    907 Broad St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • J. M. Hobgood House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Farmville, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    Farmville, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Residential

  • John L. Wiggins House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920-1921
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    315 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Joseph C. Eagles House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1909
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    605 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • L. D. Knott House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    W. Green St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential

  • L. V. Grady House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1923-1925
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1527 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Leslie S. Farmer House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1928
    Location:
    Elm City, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    SE corner of Parker St. and North St., Elm City, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno, Wilson County's Architectural Heritage (1981).

  • M. P. Churchwell House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1920
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    202 S. Connor St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Maplewood Cemetery Gates

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1922
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    Corner of Maplewood Ave. and Woodard St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    Among the state's best examples of a cemetery gateway, Maplewood is unusual in its Mission style with twin towers, arched openings, and tile roofs.

  • Marshall Ferrell House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    Kenan St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Residential

  • Mercy Hospital

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Wilson Hospital and Tubercular Home
    Dates:
    1912-1913
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    504 E. Green St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Health Care
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record, Jan. 1, 1912, reported that F. S. Hargraves, secretary of a company interested in building a hospital, had plans from Benton and Moore for a hospital 47 by 80, mill construction, electric lights, slate roof, steam heat, to cost $8,000. Built by Dr. Hargraves to serve black patients, the brick building with Doric portico was soon named Mercy Hospital. After years of being endangered, it has been rehabilitated for a new use.

  • Moore-Herring Hospital

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    SW corner of Douglas St. and Greene St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Health Care
    Note:
    The postcard view of the hospital features a rare example of a drawing signed by Benton and Moore.

  • Rainey Hospital

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Alamance General Hospital
    Dates:
    1915-1916
    Location:
    Burlington, Alamance County
    Street Address:
    Rainey St., Burlington, NC
    Status:
    Altered
    Type:
    Health Care
    Images Puslished In:
    Don Bolden, Burlington (2009).
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record of Jan. 14, 1915, reported that Benton and Moore of Wilson were architects for a hospital to be erected in Burlington, 75 x 80 feet, electric elevator, to cost $20,000. Sponsored by Dr. Rainey Parker and known as the Rainey Hospital, it is similar to but somewhat simpler than the Elizabeth City hospital. Later known as Alamance General Hospital and succeeded in the mid-20th century by a new facility, the large neoclassical building has been converted to a new use and has been altered with the addition of large wings.

  • Robert C. Hutcherson House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, attributed architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    202 Raleigh Rd., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • S. B. Moore House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1924
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1402 W. Gold St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Samuel Agnew House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1920
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1210 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Selby Anderson House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1917
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    901 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    One of the most outstanding of Wilson's many notable bungalows, the Anderson house is exceptional for its bold massing, deep porch, and combination of Tudor Revival and Craftsman style details. It stands on a key corner on W. Nash St. It was built for a tobacco pioneer and banker. The photograph shows the house on the left.

  • Smith Warehouse

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1927-1928
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    410 S. Goldsboro St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Eastern North Carolina (1996).
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    The brick warehouse, encompassing an entire city block, was one of the largest of several such tobacco warehouses in town; Moore is credited with its design with patterned brickwork and stepped gables. Few examples of this important building type survive.

  • St. John's African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church

    Dates:
    1914-1915
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    119 S. Pender St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record, of Feb. 5, 1914, reported that the firm had produced plans for an African Methodist Episcopal Church Building, 60 x 75 feet, $15,000. The handsome Gothic Revival church was erected in 1915 by local brickmason John Barnes.

  • T. J. Foote House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1920
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1005 W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Terminal Inn

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1920
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    400-412 E. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    A railroad hotel of brick with curved gables akin to the depot across the street.

  • Thomas E. Dillon House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1922
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    911 Broad St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • W. E. Pace House

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record, of April 2, 1914, noted that Benton and Moore had planned a brick veneered house for W. E. Pace.

  • W. G. Carr House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1907
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    109 Whitehead Ave., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • W. J. Davis House

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1920s
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    600 block W. Nash St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential

  • W. L. Best House

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1914
    Location:
    Greenville, Pitt County
    Street Address:
    537 Evans St., Greenville, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Note:
    Manufacturers' Record, Feb. 5, 1914.

  • Welfare's Garage

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1922
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    119 N. Goldsboro St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

  • Wilson Hotel

    Contributors:
    Charles C. Benton, Sr., architect; Benton and Moore, architects; Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1912
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Unknown
    Type:
    Commercial
    Note:
    The Manufacturers' Record of June 27, 1912, reported that the Wilson Hotel Company had plans by Benton and Moore for a hotel with electric elevator and asbestos roof, to cost $45,000. It is not clear whether it was built or what name it was known by.

  • Wilson Primitive Baptist Church

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    Ca. 1920-1921
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    301 Green St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).
    Note:
    In contrast to the spartanly simple rural churches of the denomination, Wilson's Primitive Baptists had Moore design a small but robust Gothic Revival brick building.

  • Winstead School

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1918
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    1713 Downing St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Educational

  • Women's Club of Wilson

    Contributors:
    Solon B. Moore, architect
    Dates:
    1922-1925
    Location:
    Wilson, Wilson County
    Street Address:
    402 Broad St., Wilson, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Fraternal
    Images Puslished In:
    Kate Ohno and Robert C. Bainbridge, Wilson, North Carolina, Historic Buildings Inventory (1980).

    image/svg+xml Durham Greenville Raleigh ChapelHill Fayetteville Wilmington Winston-Salem Charlotte Asheville Goldsboro Greens-boro Edenton New Bern Salisbury Warren-ton ElizabethCity