Bauer, Adolphus Gustavus (1858-1898)

Birthplace:

Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA

Residences:

  • Wilmington, North Carolina
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Trades:

  • Architect

Styles & Forms:

Gothic Revival; Queen Anne; Romanesque Revival

A. G. Bauer (December 4, 1858-May 11, 1898), architect, designed some of North Carolina’s most imposing and ebulliently stylish buildings of the late 19th century. He came to North Carolina in 1883 as assistant to architect Samuel Sloan of Philadelphia at a time when the state was embarking on major postwar projects but had few professionally trained resident architects. After Sloan’s death in 1884, Bauer completed some of his former employer’s projects, and subsequently established his own practice that included edifices from Wilmington to Morganton and, chiefly, in Raleigh.

Bauer was born in Martinsburg, Virginia (present West Virginia), the youngest son of Frederick and Sophia Bauer, immigrants from Hanover, Germany. Soon after 1870, the family settled in Bellaire, Ohio, where he spent the remainder of his youth. He was graduated from Bethany College in West Virginia in 1879. After working in Pittsburgh for two years and studying at the Iron City Business College, he entered the Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts. There he met Samuel Sloan (1815-1884), an important Philadelphia architect then struggling to maintain his practice. Sloan hired him as his draftsman in 1881.

In 1883 Bauer accompanied Sloan on a trip south to assist on commissions under way in North Carolina. Sloan established an office in Raleigh in 1884. In a personal memoir, Bauer recalled that as Sloan’s draftsman, he produced all or part of the working drawings for such important North Carolina projects as the Executive Mansion in Raleigh, Memorial Hall in Chapel Hill, and the Western North Carolina Hospital for the Insane in Morganton.

In July, 1884, Sloan died unexpectedly of sunstroke, leaving Bauer to handle the projects then under construction and others only in the planning stages. To finish the Executive Mansion in Raleigh, Bauer worked closely with contractor William J. Hicks, architect and superintendent of the state penitentiary, and he finished up work on the Chapel Hill and Morganton jobs. In Raleigh, he planned and supervised the Centennial Graded School (1885), originally a Sloan commission, and he took a role in designing other buildings in the capital in association with Hicks and others.

In 1887, he set off for the burgeoning port city of Wilmington, where he assumed the role of contractor as well as designer. There he displayed his growing propensity for highly irregular and dramatic forms, as in the Queen Anne-Shingle style Rufus W. Hicks House (1887) and the Gothic Revival style St. Andrews Presbyterian Church (1887). In 1889, in the midst of a disagreement over the unfinished Hicks project in Wilmington, Bauer left North Carolina. He first embarked on a six month tour of Europe. After returning to the United States in March, 1890, he worked briefly as a draftsman in New York, Chicago, Cincinnati, Lexington, Kentucky (for local architect Herman L. Rowe), and Atlanta (for architect Gottfried L. Norrman, master of an extraordinary range of styles and forms). In the fall of 1890, Bauer moved to establish his own practice and opened an office in Chattanooga.

In 1891, however, he returned to North Carolina at the invitation of Governor Daniel G. Fowle. He promptly took on two major state-sponsored commissions, both in Morganton: the Western North Carolina Hospital for the Insane to expand the complex he had completed from Sloan’s designs; and, one of his largest and best known works, the North Carolina School for the Deaf. With these projects and added experience under his belt, Bauer entered a new chapter in his career in North Carolina. In the 1890s he designed some of the state’s premier examples of the nationally popular Queen Anne style, including large and complex buildings replete with towers and turrets and irregular and dramatic plans and forms. Although many of his buildings of this creative period have been lost, a few survive as prime landmarks of their era.

The North Carolina School for the Deaf, a grand, towered edifice, displayed Bauer’s flair for the Queen Anne style as well as his ability to organize a complex and highly specialized facility, using an E-plan scheme similar to the plan Sloan had employed at the asylum. The school is among the most important examples of late 19th century architecture still standing in the state, remarkable as a survivor from a period and mode of architecture almost entirely lost.

The Morganton projects were soon followed by other major commissions in various cities. In Raleigh, Bauer planned edifices in the High Victorian modes (all now lost), which did much to transform the architectural character of the city: the Park Hotel (1892) and the Academy of Music (1892) for Cary railroad man and contractor Alison Frank Page; the Pullen Building (1894) for Raleigh developer Richard Stanhope Pullen; the Raleigh Fire Headquarters (1895); and the huge, multi-porched Baptist Female University (1895-1899), a fitting neighbor to the Sloan’s and Bauer’s Executive Mansion just across the street.

By 1895, the maturing architect was at the height of his powers. His patrons included many prominent institutions and people, and with news and images of his projects appearing regularly in the Raleigh newspapers, he was something of a local celebrity. Meanwhile, in his personal life, after returning to Raleigh in 1891, he fell in love with the beautiful young Rachel Blythe, the daughter of a Cherokee mother and a white father. Because of state law forbidding marriage between whites and Indians, the two married in a secret ceremony in 1894, and then, after Rachel became pregnant, held a more official service in Washington, D. C. in June, 1895. After the second wedding, they lived openly and happily as man and wife, together with their daughter, Owenah, who was born in October, 1895.

In 1896, however, Bauer’s fortunes took a sudden turn for the worse. On May 2, he was riding in an open carriage in Durham along with contractor Charles N. Norton to visit a building site (Durham’s First Baptist Church). Their carriage was struck by a fast-moving train at a railroad crossing, and both men were severely injured. After the accident and a period of hospitalization at the North Carolina Hospital for the Insane (Dorothea Dix Hospital) in Raleigh, Bauer suffered continually from spells of dizziness and depression and was unable to concentrate long enough to design new buildings. He wrote to his sister in July, 1896, “Last May, when the accident occurred, it seemed to me I was going to do a better years business than ever. I had a great many orders on hand, but when people read from the papers that I was dying, or if I did not die, I would never be able to do work again, they all went to other Architects, and so when I got well enough to get out and try to do work, there was nothing to do but a couple of jobs. If I had them on hand, however, I [would] not feel competent or able to attend to them.”

A suit against the railroad company proceeded slowly and without results. Rachel, who had been ill much of the fall, gave birth to their second child December 27, 1896. On January 9, 1897, Rachel died at age 26. Bauer was forced to disperse their “little family” by sending their infant children to live with Rachel’s relatives. Settling with the railroad company for a reduced sum in order to erect a memorial for Rachel, Bauer created a lovely monument in Raleigh’s Oakwood Cemetery, with a little Classical temple and Rachel’s wedding photograph in a porcelain plaque. Over the next year, despite intensifying headaches, dizziness, and amnesia, Bauer managed one last flurry of public and residential work in Raleigh. Continuing his favored Queen Anne style, he planned the Lucy Catherine Capehart House (1897), one of Raleigh’s best examples of the late Queen Anne mode; the remodeling of the William H. Worth House (1898); and additions to the Colored Deaf and Dumb School (1898). On May 11, 1898, alone in his room, Bauer killed himself with a single gunshot.

As he desired, Bauer was buried beside Rachel in Oakwood Cemetery. Though dying before he was forty, he left a legacy of some of the state’s most dramatic “New South” buildings, displaying the eclectic styles of the day at their most ebullient. Many of his buildings were destroyed in the mid-20th century, some of them only a few years before the pendulum of taste swung back to appreciation of the architecture of the Victorian era. These survive in photographs, complementing the standing monuments of his short, creative, and restless life.

  • Charlotte Vestal Brown Papers, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
  • William B. Bushong, “A. G. Bauer, North Carolina’s New South Architect,” North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
  • Carmine Prioli, “The Indian ‘Princess’ and the Architect: Origin of North Carolina Legend,” North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July, 1983).
Sort Building List by:
  • Academy of Music

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect; Allison F. Page, contractor
    Dates:
    1892
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    302-304 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Steven Stolpen, Raleigh : A Pictorial History (1977).

  • Anson County Courthouse

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect (remodeling)
    Dates:
    1893 [remodeled]
    Location:
    Wadesboro, Anson County
    Street Address:
    Wadesboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Mary Louise Medley, History of Anson County, 1750-1976 (1976).
    Note:
    The towered building near the center of the postcard view is probably the courthouse as remodeled by Bauer.

  • Baptist Female University

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect; North Carolina Car Company, contractors
    Variant Name(s):
    Mansion Park Hotel
    Dates:
    1895-1899
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    N. Blount St. at E. Jones St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Elizabeth C. Waugh, North Carolina's Capital, Raleigh (1967).
    Note:
    Considered to be Bauer's masterpiece. Along with his School for the Deaf and Dumb in Morganton, the huge brick edifice was one of the state's premier examples of the Queen Anne style. It was demolished by the state as a site for an office building in 1967, but the site remains vacant and used for a parking lot as of 2008.

  • Centennial Graded School

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect; Ellington, Royster, and Company, contractors; Leonard H. Royster, contractor; Samuel Sloan, architect
    Dates:
    1883-1885
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    South St. at S end of Fayetteville St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Note:
    The commission for Raleigh's Centennial Graded School was awarded to architect Samuel Sloan on August 1, 1883, and construction began in November. After Sloan's death in 1884, the project was completed by his associate A. G. Bauer in 1885. The public school opened in 1876—thus the name—in the old Governor's Palace (see James Calder) that stood in a prominent position "at the foot of Fayetteville Street." Notable as an early graded school in the state, Centennial encompassed primary grades through high school. It marked the beginnings of Raleigh's public school system. After the Governor's Palace was torn down, the new school was built in 1883-1885, reusing bricks from the previous building. The 1880s school was razed in 1931 and replaced by Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium (see Atwood and Weeks). See Harold N. Cooledge, Jr., "Samuel Sloan, Architect of Philadelphia" (1986); William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect" (1983); and Murray and Johnson, "Wake: Capital County of North Carolina, Vol. II: Reconstruction to 1920" (2008).

  • Colored Deaf and Dumb School

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1897
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    S. Blount St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).

  • Eagle Hotel

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect (1883, remodeling); William Collier, probable brickmason (1812); Pearson and Ashe, architects (1899); Charles A. Pearson, architect (1899)
    Variant Name(s):
    State Agriculture Building; Guion Hotel; National Hotel
    Dates:
    1812; 1870; 1883 [remodeled]; 1899-1900 [addition]
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    NW corner Edenton St. and Halifax St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Elizabeth C. Waugh, North Carolina's Capital, Raleigh (1967).
    Note:
    The hotel facing the North Carolina State Capitol was built for Charles Parish and began operation in 1812 as the Eagle Hotel, and operated under various names over the years. It was considered Raleigh's finest hotel for years. By 1870, it had been expanded into a large brick building with double porches. In 1883 it was remodeled by A. G. Bauer to house state offices, and it was headquarters of the state's agricultural department. It was expanded dramatically in 1899-1900; the News and Observer of August 24, 1899, cited the State Agriculture Building then under construction as the work of Pearson and Ashe. In 1896 it appeared on the Sanborn Map as the State Agriculture Building and State Museum, and by 1903 (Sanborn Map), it had an immense addition that extended down Halifax Street and around the corner on Jones Street. That building was razed to build the current Agriculture Building (1922-1923) by G. Murray Nelson and Thomas Wright Cooper.

  • Executive Mansion

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, draftsman and architect; William J. Hicks, architect and superintendent; North Carolina Car Company, contractors; Samuel Sloan, architect
    Dates:
    1883-1891
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    N. Blount St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
    Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003).
    William Bushong, North Carolina's Executive Mansion: The First Hundred Years (1991).
    Note:
    For the full story of the development of the Executive Mansion, including the original design by Samuel Sloan and its alterations, see William Bushong, North Carolina's Executive Mansion: The First Hundred Years (1991).

  • First Baptist Church

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect (ca. 1895-1896); Charles H. Norton, builder (ca. 1895-1896)
    Dates:
    1877; ca. 1895-1896 [remodeled]
    Location:
    Durham, Durham County
    Street Address:
    N. Mangum St., Durham, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Joel A. Kostyu and Frank A. Kostyu, Durham: A Pictorial History (1978).

  • First Presbyterian Church

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1894
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Unbuilt
    Type:
    Religious
    Note:
    A design for Raleigh's First Presbyterian Church, prepared by Bauer, was exhibited in 1894, but it was several years before the congregation erected a church, which was designed by architect Charles E. Cassell of Baltimore.

  • Lucy Catherine Capehart House

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect; Coffey Family, contractors; John W. Coffey, contractor
    Dates:
    1897-1898
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    400 block N. Blount St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Moved
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    William Bushong, North Carolina's Executive Mansion: The First Hundred Years (1991).
    Linda L. Harris and Mary Ann Lee, An Architectural and Historical Inventory of Raleigh, North Carolina (1978).
    Note:
    The Capehart House originally stood on N. Wilmington St. but was moved to N. Blount St. in the late 20th century to avoid demolition for development of the state government mall.

  • Memorial Hall

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, draftsman and architect; Samuel Sloan, architect
    Dates:
    1883-1885
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, Orange County
    Street Address:
    University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).

  • Norburn Terrace

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1898
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    N. Person St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    Linda L. Harris and Mary Ann Lee, An Architectural and Historical Inventory of Raleigh, North Carolina (1978).
    Note:
    Family tradition credited Bauer with the design of the brick house with tower; no documentation supports the attribution.

  • North Carolina Insane Asylum for the Colored

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Eastern Insane Asylum; Cherry Hospital
    Dates:
    1895
    Location:
    Goldsboro, Wayne County
    Street Address:
    Goldsboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Health Care
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).

  • North Carolina School for the Deaf

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    School for the Deaf and Dumb
    Dates:
    1891
    Location:
    Morganton, Burke County
    Street Address:
    US 64 at Fleming Dr., Morganton, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Health Care
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).

  • Odd Fellows Home

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1895-1896
    Location:
    Goldsboro, Wayne County
    Street Address:
    Goldsboro, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Fraternal
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).

  • Park Hotel

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect; Allison F. Page, contractor
    Variant Name(s):
    Park Central Hotel
    Dates:
    1891-1894
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    S. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Elizabeth C. Waugh, North Carolina's Capital, Raleigh (1967).
    Note:
    Allison F. Page is described as the developer and evidently the builder of the fashionable Queen Anne style hotel with its striking corner tower. It was located beside Nash Square and convenient to the railroad depot. Page's biographer said, "It is known to his intimate friends that he built the Park Hotel in Raleigh because he wanted to see in the capital of his State a first class hotel without a saloon." (J. N. Cole, "Allison Francis Page" in Ashe, ed., Biographical Dictionary of North Carolina.)

  • Pullen Building

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1894
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    336 Fayetteville St. (at Davie St.), Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).

  • Raleigh Fire Headquarters

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1895
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    Morgan St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Steven Stolpen, Raleigh : A Pictorial History (1977).

  • Rufus W. Hicks House

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1887
    Location:
    Wilmington, New Hanover County
    Street Address:
    Wilmington, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Emma Woodward MacMillan, Wilmington's Vanished Homes and Buildings (1966).

  • Rufus W. Hicks Store

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1887
    Location:
    Wilmington, New Hanover County
    Street Address:
    Wilmington, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Commercial

  • St. Andrews Presbyterian Church

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1888-1889
    Location:
    Wilmington, New Hanover County
    Street Address:
    520 N. 4th St., Wilmington, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Beverly Tetterton, Wilmington: Lost But Not Forgotten (2005).

  • St. Mary's School

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, possible architect; Samuel Sloan, possible architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Language Arts Building
    Dates:
    1883-1887
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    St. Mary's Campus, Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Educational
    Note:
    The News and Observer of June 20, 1883, cited a commission for Sloan and published specifications. The Language Arts Building, dated 1887, has features in common with the Executive Mansion; whether it was the work of Sloan or perhaps Bauer after him has not been determined.

  • State Exposition Building

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect; William J. Hicks, contractor, architect; North Carolina Car Company, contractor; Samuel Sloan, architect
    Dates:
    1884
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir, Charlotte V. Brown, Carl R. Lounsbury, and Ernest H. Wood III, Architects and Builders in North Carolina: A History of the Practice of Building (1990).
    Note:
    The large, impermanent exhibition building, prefabricated of wood and encompassing 75,000 square feet of exhibit space, was built by the North Carolina Car Company for a state exposition that represented rebuilding and renewal after the Civil War.

  • Supreme Court Building

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect; William J. Hicks, architect
    Variant Name(s):
    Labor Building
    Dates:
    1885
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    W. Edenton St. at Salisbury St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Public
    Images Puslished In:
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Elizabeth C. Waugh, North Carolina's Capital, Raleigh (1967).
    Note:
    The photograph shows the Supreme Court Building on the left.

  • Tabernacle Baptist Church

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect (1891); James Matthew Kennedy, architect (1909)
    Dates:
    1879-1881; 1891 [remodeled]; 1909 [remodeled]
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    E. Hargett St. at Person St., Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Religious
    Images Puslished In:
    Linda L. Harris and Mary Ann Lee, An Architectural and Historical Inventory of Raleigh, North Carolina (1978).

  • Western North Carolina Hospital for the Insane

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect (1886); Samuel Sloan, architect (1875-1883); James Walker, contractor (1875-1883; 1886)
    Variant Name(s):
    Broughton Hospital
    Dates:
    1875-1883; 1886 [addition]; 1890s [addition]
    Location:
    Morganton, Burke County
    Street Address:
    Broughton Rd., Morganton, NC
    Status:
    Standing
    Type:
    Health Care
    Images Puslished In:
    Catherine W. Bishir, North Carolina Architecture (1990).
    Catherine W. Bishir, Michael T. Southern, and Jennifer F. Martin, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Western North Carolina (1999).
    William B. Bushong, "A. G. Bauer, North Carolina's New South Architect," North Carolina Historical Review, 60.3 (July 1983).
    Harold N. Cooledge, Jr., Samuel Sloan, Architect of Philadelphia, 1814-1884 (1986).
    Note:
    Completion of the Western North Carolina Hospital for the Insane, as designed by Samuel Sloan and with James Walker serving as contractor, was delayed due to financial problems and stopped in 1883, with only the central section and one wing completed. After Sloan's death in 1884, A. G. Bauer designed the building's north wing, which was built in 1886. An annex was added a few years later.

  • William H. Worth House

    Contributors:
    A. G. Bauer, architect
    Dates:
    1898 [remodeled]
    Location:
    Raleigh, Wake County
    Street Address:
    Raleigh, NC
    Status:
    No longer standing
    Type:
    Residential

    image/svg+xml Durham Greenville Raleigh ChapelHill Fayetteville Wilmington Winston-Salem Charlotte Asheville Goldsboro Greens-boro Edenton New Bern Salisbury Warren-ton ElizabethCity